cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child has VPN bypassing parental controls

Lizziefinigan1
Joining in

Hello there,

I have two teenage boys who have very cleverly figured out if the download a vpn onto their devices they can bypass the child safe settings I have on the router. Any way around this please? 

8 REPLIES 8

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"The big red switch", about the only thing you can do is turn off the power! There are various things you can do, but you need very expensive and technical equipment to get anywhere defeating teenagers these days. You don’t even need a VPN, all you do is change the DNS servers on the device used. Really it’s all down to education. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Cardiffman282
Super solver

The simple answer is have the conversation.  

A techie answer is to stick the hub in modem mode and use your own router ensuring that its firewall blocks ports 443 (tcp) and 1194 (udp). This is not foolproof and might also block work VPN connections WFH. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Lizziefinigan1 wrote:

Hello there,

I have two teenage boys who have very cleverly figured out if the download a vpn onto their devices they can bypass the child safe settings I have on the router. Any way around this please? 

So not that cleverly he only needed to change DNS

VM can only do so much before it gets out of hand to the point it still is not enough   

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"A techie answer is to stick the hub in modem mode and use your own router ensuring that its firewall blocks ports 443 (tcp) and 1194 (udp). This is not foolproof and might also block work VPN connections"

That’s all well and good, but a pin-hole reset of the hub will negate this and most situations including modem mode and your own router.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Tudor wrote:

That’s all well and good, but a pin-hole reset of the hub will negate this and most situations including modem mode and your own router.

lock hub and router in a box😋....until they learn to picklock 

The vpn is installed on their phones. Still no clue what I can do? 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

If its Psiphon pro you pretty much had it!

only way is to not let them install stuff on their phone which you can't do so only option is to get them a dumb phone

Client62
Legend

Parents give adult tools to infants and are then shocked when the unexpected happens.

I can imagine kids at school have a golden pages on this topic and maintain detailed notes on how to
rapidly bypass the parental controls offered by ISPs from A&A to Zen !