cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Parental/scheduling controls on hub 5

Seepod
Tuning in

I’ve discovered it’s not possible to schedule downtimes for the hub 5 to prevent teenagers sneaking about at night trying to access internet from laptops and gaming consoles after they’re supposed to have gone to bed. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to replace the router with a superior one that we can control from an app, and what would be a good one to buy. Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Put the Hub in modem mode and use something like this Mesh system.  Very good parental controls apparently.

TP-Link Deco X20 AX1800 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System - Review 2021 - PCMag UK

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Seepod,

Thanks for your post and welcome ot the community.

Many apologies for the issues faced, can I ask has the parental controls been switched on indefinitely at all?

Let us know,

Kain

Do you mean parental controls on the router? I didn’t know there were any to be hi eat. I can see that it’s possible to manually pause a device from having wifi access but I need to be able to schedule it so that it happens automatically. 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Seepod,

Thank you for your reply, do you have our connect app at all? From this, you can pause device connections on here, you cannot set up timers on this, but I know some devices let you set up play/usage timers, I have one for my son on his iPad and PlayStation. Below are links for different consoles and parental timers 🎮:
PlayStation
X-box
Nintendo Switch

And here are other devices 📱:
Apple

Samsung

Google

HUAWEI
Our parental controls do not have timers but will restrict certain sites that are not kid-friendly, you can find more about this 👉 here

In regards to a superior hub, our hub 5 is the latest model, I can see however, that you are having some dropouts, which we can get a tech to come out and look at, I will drop you over a PM, and we can get this looked into for you if you wish, just keep an eye out for the little envelope 👀📩
Thanks,
Zoie

Thanks. I’ll take a look. So I understand about parental controls on other devices but I want a complete WiFi switch-off at night so that I don't have to manage this from lots of different devices. If the hub 5 cannot be scheduled to do this, what equipment can I replace it with that will be compatible with the virgin setup and allow me to schedule off times? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Put the Hub in modem mode and use something like this Mesh system.  Very good parental controls apparently.

TP-Link Deco X20 AX1800 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System - Review 2021 - PCMag UK

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks