cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 -sudden drop from 1.1Gb to 94Mb in download

ozsat
Superstar

So I check my download speed every few days to make sure I get what I am paying for,  Samknows real speed would usually come back with around 1140 and 940 - Ookla would come back with around 940Mbps too. During all this the upload is a constand 52Mbps.

Noticed things going slow on Sunday and the speeds had dropped to around 94Mbps download.

I have two different 1Gb network cards in the PC and swiitching between those (and SH4 ports) made no difference.

After a couple of power resets of the PC and Hub4 all went back to the expected rates.  I suispected the PC had got intob a weird state.

During yesterday I could tell from download speeds that things were not right again - and they were back to 94Mbs download and 52Mbps upload.

Tried the power resets again and still 94Mbps download via Ethenet. 5GHz Wifi is still working at over 300-400Mpbs which has never changed.

I have another device with a 1Gb card which would give similar speed results to those excepted - but that is now maxing at 94Mbps download too. A few other devices would usually achieve over 130Mpbs - and are all maxing at 94Mpbs too.

One device I could always get around 300Mbs download via Ethernet is now showing 94Mbps too - but still 300Mbs when switched to Wifi.

It seems the SH4 is auto-negotiating at 100 and not 1000 on all four ports. Config still shows 1 DOCSIS 3.1 channel connect and config download is still 1230000450.

Have done a pinhole factory reset and before doing any SH4 customisation I tried again and still only 94Mpbs on all four ports.

I am sure it is not a signal issue as Wifi is good and I'm getting between -1.1 and +3.0 on all power levels and between 37.3 and 38.8 on all SNR.

I've not seen anything in the logs to show a firmware update but the logs were lost here in the factory reset - currently cmreg-vmdg640-bbt076+voc-b.cm

I will call TS today and get them to suggest things but I can put the issue down to the SH4.

Power levels are mainly the same after the factory reset so within expected range.

Anyone any other ideas of things to try?

ozsat_0-1646888255871.png

ozsat_1-1646888282650.png

ozsat_3-1646888321561.png

ozsat_5-1646888347303.png

ozsat_0-1646888401223.png

ozsat_0-1646888586258.png

MOD EDIT: see message 109  for an update 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5
218 REPLIES 218

Mods, please add me to the list 🙂

Running hub 4 in modem mode, only just upgraded to 1 gig and mine had dropped to 94 twice in two weeks.

First time reboot of hub sorted it out.

Today two reboots and a hard reset did nothing, but I happened to move my cat 7 cable to a different port and speed was restored.

Are Hub 5's any better and not doing this?

Infuriatingly, my hub4 is now dropping speeds frequently with QoS set. Its dropping several times a day. VM are sending a technician today, not sure what they will be able to do but worth a shot I guess. 

Mine seems to be dropping every 2 to 3 days since recent installation, it's causing havoc as wife works from home, and there seems to be a brief internet drop before the speed crashes down to 94

Hi all, 

Thanks for your patience on this one, we really appreciate it. 

Checking in with Lisa on this one today, it's still being investigated with our support teams. They are on top of things and working to resolve things. 

As soon as we have an update, or if we need any further information, we'll be back in touch. 

Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @apaddock,

I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so that we can take a closer look at things on our end for you. Our network team are still looking over things, but we'll just need to do a few additional checks for you ourselves.

Please respond to the message at your earliest convenience and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Months on and this has still not been resolved, I’ve just done a random speed test and once again I’m down to 90mps download speed. After several attempts at removing my Ethernet cables, restarting the modem (which used to cure the problem) I’ve given up. I’m sick of paying Virgin a premium price for my 1GB to find out this has STILL not been resolved. I’m dropping my package to the lowest tier until it’s been fixed.

Have you tried a high quality shielded Ethernet cable?
Cured the issue for me.

My old cat 6 cables were fine with the 500 service, but as soon as I upgraded to 1 gig speed dropped from 945 to 94 every couple of days 

Hi, yes I’ve tried shielded cables at considerable cost, unfortunately this is not the answer. The answer is for Virgin to roll out a fix like they said they would weeks ago.

I think that was just pot luck. I didn't replaced any cables but did try different ports.

I changed the ports each time the speed dropped - and now for a couple of months no problem at all.

@johndm wrote:

Have you tried a high quality shielded Ethernet cable?
Cured the issue for me.

My old cat 6 cables were fine with the 500 service, but as soon as I upgraded to 1 gig speed dropped from 945 to 94 every couple of days 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Disable in the NIC green Ethernet or energy efficient Ethernet not that you should have too but if confirmed VM should see this as not work out of the box setup.

---------------------------------------------------------------