cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Drive downloads failing

mrsnooch
On our wavelength

Hi, I am on the 1Gig service. I have the VM hub in modem mode, and then a TP-Link AX20 for router purposes. I have tested the following issue both in this setup, and without the AX20 in play, and it persists in both.

I do a lot of video editing and frequently am downloading 20GB+ files from Google Drive. These past 2 weeks I have noticed the downloads just fail at a random point. Resuming isn't an option without a ridiculous manual work around that isn't practical for me to do for the amount I download. 

We had an engineer out at the weekend and he checked and all the levels were fine according to him (he did show me his mobile device and everything had green arrows next to it). I have since tried factory resetting the VM router, but no luck. The problem persists on both my Windows PC and Macbook, both using wired connections as well.

As far as I can tell, this is the only service whereby this is happening. The fails might indicate drops in the connection, but I do not see this in any other situations. I also game a bit and have not seen this happen there, where it might be more noticeable.

Any ideas why Google Drive in particular might be failing, and why all of a sudden?

Thanks

EDIT: This happens on any browser, and I have even created a Python3 script that will check a particular Google Drive and download the files for me, so it's not restricted to a browser, and in turn, browser extensions etc.

16 REPLIES 16

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Maybe your hitting a download limit?

Connect a PC to the hub in modem mode without a router for a new IP to test.
---------------------------------------------------------------

mrsnooch
On our wavelength

I don't believe this to be the case as yesterday I also downloaded around 120GB through Steam without issue, from the same PC. No pauses in the downloads or drop in speed. It seems to be specifically Google Drive from what I can tell.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If Google Drive wanted they can limit you.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Mrsnooch 👋

Thanks for posting this issue with your downloads via Google Drive, I am sorry you're having this problem!

We wouldn't usually help with this sort of thing as it's more of a 3rd party issue that we're not involved in, however I still wanted to check how things were on your services just to make sure I had covered all bases for you. 

It may not be the root cause of your Google Drive issue, but I have identified a network issue in your area which may materialise as intermittent/slow connection over broadband. Our field team is now aware of it and will be working on resolving it over the next few days. 

As I said, it may be an issue with Google Drive itself, so I have done a little research to find Google's support page for Google Drive Issues which may help 😊

If you want us to check your services to see how the network issue is going on our side, feel free to ask for an update on here 🤗

Thanks,

Megan_L

mrsnooch
On our wavelength

Hi Megan,

That's kind of you to look further in to this, thank you. I did receive an email later on the day of your post saying they were working on something so I'm assuming you triggered that. I'll keep an eye on things and see how they go.

I understand that because of Google Drive being the only issue that it would naturally be the one to blame, but it's just more so the fact I have been using it almost daily for the last 12 months and have never once had this issue, then suddenly the connection is constantly dropping during downloads. For now I have figured out a workaround, but to be able to just download a file without a fail would be great.

Many thanks again,
Mark

We can certainly appreciate that Mark. Just to confirm, do you know if you have had any updates from Google recently for the drive?

^Martin

Just to interject.

I had experienced an issue like this.

A few weeks ago I had a 8Gb Virtual Machine file to download but it was dropping connection at 6Gb every time on multiple attempts on a wired PC.

This was the same on both Vivaldi and Firefox. I did find that I couldn't resume it on Vivaldi, it kept giving a network error but resuming was allowed in Firefox and I was able to complete it.

I have: 500Mb RFoG broadband, Virgin TV360, and voip telephone.

mrsnooch
On our wavelength

Hi Martin,

Google gave a suggestion to use their desktop application which can sync their files. This doesn't need a persistent connection so it works in this case even when the connection drops. I did try again to download a 3GB file from Google Drive and it failed about 2.5GB in, so the issue still persists.

Was that through Google Drive too?

Yeah Firefox normally let me resume at least once (at most twice), but because my files were like 20GB, even if I could resume twice I was still only ever able to download like 10GB at the most. Using the desktop application has helped me find a fix, but the browser issue does still exist.