cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 -sudden drop from 1.1Gb to 94Mb in download

ozsat
Superstar

So I check my download speed every few days to make sure I get what I am paying for,  Samknows real speed would usually come back with around 1140 and 940 - Ookla would come back with around 940Mbps too. During all this the upload is a constand 52Mbps.

Noticed things going slow on Sunday and the speeds had dropped to around 94Mbps download.

I have two different 1Gb network cards in the PC and swiitching between those (and SH4 ports) made no difference.

After a couple of power resets of the PC and Hub4 all went back to the expected rates.  I suispected the PC had got intob a weird state.

During yesterday I could tell from download speeds that things were not right again - and they were back to 94Mbs download and 52Mbps upload.

Tried the power resets again and still 94Mbps download via Ethenet. 5GHz Wifi is still working at over 300-400Mpbs which has never changed.

I have another device with a 1Gb card which would give similar speed results to those excepted - but that is now maxing at 94Mbps download too. A few other devices would usually achieve over 130Mpbs - and are all maxing at 94Mpbs too.

One device I could always get around 300Mbs download via Ethernet is now showing 94Mbps too - but still 300Mbs when switched to Wifi.

It seems the SH4 is auto-negotiating at 100 and not 1000 on all four ports. Config still shows 1 DOCSIS 3.1 channel connect and config download is still 1230000450.

Have done a pinhole factory reset and before doing any SH4 customisation I tried again and still only 94Mpbs on all four ports.

I am sure it is not a signal issue as Wifi is good and I'm getting between -1.1 and +3.0 on all power levels and between 37.3 and 38.8 on all SNR.

I've not seen anything in the logs to show a firmware update but the logs were lost here in the factory reset - currently cmreg-vmdg640-bbt076+voc-b.cm

I will call TS today and get them to suggest things but I can put the issue down to the SH4.

Power levels are mainly the same after the factory reset so within expected range.

Anyone any other ideas of things to try?

ozsat_0-1646888255871.png

ozsat_1-1646888282650.png

ozsat_3-1646888321561.png

ozsat_5-1646888347303.png

ozsat_0-1646888401223.png

ozsat_0-1646888586258.png

MOD EDIT: see message 109  for an update 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5
218 REPLIES 218

Hi @apaddock
Are your PC's running Windows 11? There has been known issues with Windows 11 - make sure your drivers are all updated (reinstall) and if you are running Killer E2400 please disable the Prioritization Engine in settings. 

Let me know if updating your drivers has helped at all. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

I am running windows 10.

Im not sure it's relevant anyway, not sure how operating system I'm running on my PCs can cause the connection from my hub4 to my router to drop from gigabit to 100mb but my connections from router to all other wired devices (including PC's) to remain at gigabit? The PCs do not see the speed drop when in modem mode and connected to third party router, but do see it when connected directly to the hub4, as does every other device connected to it. 

I run Windows 10 and started the thread with this issue about a month ago.

The issue is nothing to do with a PC. It is the Super Hub 4 which has the issue.

It does it with various devices - not just PCs.

A review of the ticket will show it has been acknowledged by VM it is a SH4 issue.

@Carley_S wrote:

Hi @apaddock
Are your PC's running Windows 11? There has been known issues with Windows 11 - make sure your drivers are all updated (reinstall) and if you are running Killer E2400 please disable the Prioritization Engine in settings. 

Let me know if updating your drivers has helped at all. 

Just wanted to add, as it sounds like I've said I have no problem in modem mode. I do, as the connection from the hub4 to my router drops to 100mb, and that's the source of the internet, it chokes the connection to everything else.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@apaddock wrote:

Just wanted to add, as it sounds like I've said I have no problem in modem mode. I do, as the connection from the hub4 to my router drops to 100mb, and that's the source of the internet, it chokes the connection to everything else.

Try enabling QoS/BWM on your router with download to 800Mb and reboot the hub to see if link speed drops to 100Mb

---------------------------------------------------------------

You don't need a router connected for this issue to occur. It has occured on SH4 with just one port connected.

It is sometimes one port that drops - and sometimes all four port drops - even if one of them was not in use at the time.

@legacy1 wrote:

@apaddock wrote:

Try enabling QoS/BWM on your router with download to 800Mb and reboot the hub to see if link speed drops to 100Mb

I did that early this morning and it looks to have stopped the hub dropping the speed to 100Mbs. However, my connection is still struggling. I think I've got 2 issues going on here. Heres my BQM for today, it's pretty typical of my connection for the last couple of weeks. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2365c23e7e590d3bf6dfc527074e4d68f3bc04f0-09-04-2022 

Tried the above, and after seeming to temporarily fix my issue, its back to doing it as often as before. Dropping from gigabit to 100Mbs frequently, along with it connection drops and lots of packet loss. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Setting QoS seems to work for this person so that the port is never maxed out causing a drop to 100Mb link speed?
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/SH4-in-modem-mode-1Gbps-gives-90Mbs/m-p/4985638#M290095
---------------------------------------------------------------

Strangely enough I used the same speeds he did, and it has improved my situation. Unfortunately it still happens occasionally. Its gone from happening maybe 5 times a day, to once a day.