cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact AUP team

JulianMHall
Dialled in

Hi All,

My IP address is blacklisted on Spamhaus (used by many including my local authority to vet emails). Undoubtedly Virgin's fault as the last time they alleged a device on /my/ system was sending spam it turned out to be /their/ webmail - which I never use as I have my own domain.

How do I contact the AUP team //directly//? I've tried making a complaint but all I got was a standard, totally irrelevant, reply.

Kind regards,

Julian

74 REPLIES 74

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JulianMHall"The steps you listed only update the My Virginmedia password which I already know".

All I know is:

• you posted ""I get the error that my VM webmail address is disabled."" which you then clarified "Yes it says unavailable rather than disabled,"
  • Past experience has shown that the "mailbox unavailable" error .message can usually be resolved by resetting the account password

So that's why I suggested "updating" the password for that account.

Hopefully the Forum Team can now resolve this for you.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Tim,

I just sent VOG another test message and it bounced as per below:

The original message was received at Mon, 26 Jun 2023 10:47:48 +0100
from vs1.iomartmail.com [10.12.10.121]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<c1v@valeofglamorgan.gov.uk>
(reason: 550 5.7.1 81.96.113.228 listed at zen.spamhaus.org)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mailgate-a.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.7.1 81.96.113.228 listed at zen.spamhaus.org
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

I also sent a Delivery receipt and that came back OK.

As you can see VOG are still blocking based on my Public IP.

Kind regards,

Julian

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coenoby wrote:

@JulianMHall"The steps you listed only update the My Virginmedia password which I already know".

All I know is:

• you posted ""I get the error that my VM webmail address is disabled."" which you then clarified "Yes it says unavailable rather than disabled,"
  • Past experience has shown that the "mailbox unavailable" error .message can usually be resolved by resetting the account password

So that's why I suggested "updating" the password for that account.

Hopefully the Forum Team can now resolve this for you.

Coenoby

There is another situation where the 'mailbox unavailable' message can come up and that is where the email address concerned has not been accessed for more than 150 days after which time the mailbox is supposed to be deleted.  Once this happens that mailbox cannot be restored.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi Graham,

That seems likely as I have never used my VM email address [so well over the 150 day limit], so inasmuch as 'unavailable' means 'it exists but you cannot access it', [BTW that's what I meant about 'disabled', also meaning 'it exists but you cannot use it'] what they actually mean is 'non-existent'. Ergo it's an example of a misleading error message. I suspect that Coenoby's advice would have worked had the account existed but merely been unavailable, but as it doesn't exist at all it didn't work.

Kind regards,

Julian

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JuilanMHall, thanks for all the posts and replies.

Please, could you kindly confirm if you've discussed the issues with our staff over private message before and if you need more help with this mailbox issue?

Let us know and we'll be eager to help.

Cheers,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri,

I'm in PM with Akua_A who I believe is one of your team.

Kind regards,

Julian

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for confirming, JulianMHall 🙂

You're in capable hands, please do pop an update here too so we know when it's all sorted. 🙂

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

We are now entering the weirdest of rabbit holes.

I installed Thunderbird on my MacBook and set it up for my own account.  I then tried forwarding on the additional error to VOG council from Thunderbird - Here's what happened

<c1@valeofglamorgan.gov.uk>: host
   mailgate-a.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk[194.83.245.24] said: 550 5.7.1
   86.133.223.254 listed at zen.spamhaus.org (in reply to end of DATA command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.timothydutton.co.uk
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 4QqtDx2thKz4w2g
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; ***********@timothydutton.co.uk
Arrival-Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 05:14:41 +0000 (UTC)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; c1@valeofglamorgan.gov.uk
Original-Recipient: rfc822;c1@valeofglamorgan.gov.uk
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mailgate-a.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 86.133.223.254 listed at zen.spamhaus.org

I then copied the text of the mail into a message in Apple Mail and sent it.  This time the mail was accepted

Again we can see the mail was sent via my own SMTP server yet bounced because of MY public IP address.

The only difference between the unsuccessful and successful send was the mail client.  Which shouldn't matter!

I need to check my mail logs to see if I can see any difference in the receiving MTA, however I won't be able to do this til this afternoon.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

JulianMHall
Dialled in

Hi Tim,

I've just sent two test emails, one using Easyspace's webmail instead of Thunderbird. Everything else is identical to tests I've sent them before. The one through Easyspace's webmail client has been received and I have had an auto response. The X-Originating IP is the same and yet it accepted that. So I immediately sent an identical email from Thunderbird; that bounced citing the public IP address again, so I agree for some reason it's interpreting Thunderbird headers differently from other clients. I haven't posted them here but I could post the Source of the headers for both tests if that would help.

Kind regards,

Julian

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you send both emails to me as attachments?

I need to see the full emails and you can't post your email address on here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more