cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Y0ungn1ck,

Thank you for your post 🙂 

I am sorry to hear you keep getting these calls, have you followed the advice above and edited your marketing prefrences?

Zoie

Hi. I had a call from the above number offering a promotion. After contacting VM I can confirm that scammers can change the display number on your phone to look like the above. Although the number shows to be 08000521251 on your phone screen, the call is NOT from Virgin Media. Please don’t give out any info. If it is VM, they will ask for characters from your password BEFORE going through anything with you.

By the way, the scammer new my full name, amount I am paying and contract end date, so SOMEONE is selling data to them. Luckily, I smelt a Rat, hung up and called Virgin Media.

just remember, the number on your caller display can be easily changed by scammers, to look like a genuine VM number. Don’t be fooled by it!

Hi @Pioann.

We truly apologise for this experience with scam callers. We can understand the concern and want to best help. Just to confirm, did you provide any details or access to your devices during the call? You may also find the following link useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

CHRIS210
On our wavelength

Absolutely ridiculous that VM have not done something about this yet, considering it's been going on for YEARS.

How hard can it be for a company claiming to be at the forefront of this countries internet & telephone technology?

Please tell us what Virgin Media have even tried to combat these scammers other than telling us to report it for someone else to have it sat on their system, also doing nothing. 

Hi. They knew my full name and mobile number so can only presume that they were sold the data. 

Red_Wimp
On our wavelength

Just googled this number and came to this thread.  I only started a new contract a couple of weeks ago and the calls started.  I did answer eventually and was asked normal security about my address which I declined to give but then I said about my new contract which details he seemed to have so felt genuinely VM.  Agreed didn’t need anything more but the calls keep coming, 2 min silent voicemail on one and rang while I was typing this. Most annoying 

CHRIS210
On our wavelength

Hi,

Been getting another spurge of calls from this number this past week and beginning to getting used to the fact that I'm just going have to ignore them.

Yes, I know I can change my contact settings and block the number but I'm not ready to do that quite yet as I know the genuine VM Promotions team sometimes have good offers and very often it seems as you get close to your end of contract (As I am).

I'm hoping to find a work around for me and hoping you can help by answering a few questions?

1. Do you actually work for VM.

2. Can I call 0800 052 1251 back by actually pressing the numbers on my phone and NOT pressing the one touch dial back.

3. If doing 2. am I guaranteed to be speaking to VM and the department that called me (If Genuine).

4. As this is an 0800 number will it be FREE to call if using a VM Landline or Mobile.

If the answers to my 4 questions above are YES, then although not ideal I think it's probably a work around I'm willing to accept so as not to miss any deals/promotions that may be on offer.

Eagerly awaiting an official VM reply.

If VM have deals, they can Write to me or email. It's too dangerous dealing with them over the phone as the number cannot be verified at all. 

CHRIS210
On our wavelength

So approximately 1hr from submitting my post for answers to 4 simple questions I receive this email.

Can I point out that I have not changed or requested any change !! 

So why has this been done?:

vmdetails.JPG

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @CHRIS210

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

The number stated is our outbound marketing number, if you wouldn't like the number to contact you then you can edit your marketing preferences in your online account but this will stop the number calling totally.

If you was looking to contact our team to look into your deal, we'd need you to contact us on 150 or 0345 454 1111

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs