cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there,

I can confirm this is a genuine Virgin Media number used for sales purposes.

Existing customers can update their marketing preferences via My Virgin Media under 'My Profile' > 'My Preferences'.

Best,

Michael_JK
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

286 REPLIES 286

LittleMick73
Superstar

Hi it's a genuine virgin sales team number, but I agree it's irritating when they call you, just depends if you are in the market to spend as I'm sure they are not offering to reduce your bill.Regards Micky 

Couldn't agree more. If they call you why should we have to give/confirm our details.

Even more irritating when they offer a service to optimise broadband speeds (at a cost of call). Isn't this something they should be ding in any case?

It is just marketing and best ignored. If you ever want to change your package call "retentions" and you will probably get a better deal. The best 2ay to stop this and most other Spam calls is to get a BT call blocker phone that asks unknown callers to announce who they are before putting them through. I have found that Spam and Scam callers just hang up and the phone does not even ring. Genuine callers can be added to your accepted list and will not need to go through the announcement procedure next time. The BT phone works fine on a Virgin line. For mobiles you will need to add the numbers to the blocked list individually, a bit more effort but stops repeat disturbance.

myss
Up to speed

Thank you tom for this thread as I've had two calls from this number today, even though I told the caller the first time that I wouldn't be giving out any personal detail to anyone who calls me out of the blue, and knowing that it was a genuine VM call has put me at an ease. 

Aside from the point of the unwanted call, the first caller said her spiel so quickly that I had to ask her three times to tell me where she was calling from and her reason for the call and I think she put the phone down on me when I told her that I wouldn't be giving my details, so the telephone manner needs attention Virgin Media.

Furthermore I can recall making my preference to not receive marketing calls some years ago when I kept getting calls about Virgin Mobile (a service I don't have).

Itasme
Tuning in

I am getting sick of this - I was hounded two to three times a day by some offshore call-centre offering to upgrade my router just a few months ago.  Would not take no for an answer, and now they are at it again, albeit this time from a different number.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of the team that handle SAR requests, under GDPR?  Although I'm fairly sure I've opted out of marketing, I'd very much like to know what data is being held on me, how it is being processed and how to revoke permission for marketing calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LittleMick73 wrote:

Hi it's a genuine virgin sales team number

I am fairly sure that is not true. Their behaviour is consistent with scammers and Googling the number reveals people receiving the calls who do not have a Virgin account.

Hi there,

I can confirm this is a genuine Virgin Media number used for sales purposes.

Existing customers can update their marketing preferences via My Virgin Media under 'My Profile' > 'My Preferences'.

Best,

Michael_JK
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe time for a bit of quality assurance review if the sales team are being mistaken for scammers. Results when Googling the number are not kind, almost nobody believes the callers are genuine. I would prefer a voicemail so I can call a published number to check the offer instead of anonymous calls every day for weeks.

fuego
On our wavelength

I simply downloaded  an app from the beginning called Should I Answer. More than a basic blocker as allows one to filter/grade callers then that's it forever. Based on a community database so ratings/comments really helpful.