cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@funbee wrote:

I am 100% percent sure these are fraudulent calls. 

<snip>

Entirely possible you have been called by a scammer who has used a fake caller ID to look like a VM number.

The types of scam are many and various. This example cropped up in a recent topic

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/upgradescam

and there have been recent similar-sounding mentions in other topics.

OFCOM publish lists of which company owns which phone numbers so the scammers can make a good first guess at your provider when they call.

Simply block the number or don't answer. If you need to contact VM make an outbound call to the known CS number(s).

I can confirm, to my surprise, that the calls have stopped. I'm no longer receiving blocklist notifications of calls from this number.. meaning that for me it has been Virgin all along. 
I believe I had two accounts with Virgin perhaps, which is why turning off marketing emails didn't do the trick but since having that call with Customer Services 2 weeks ago regarding the matter, there have been no more calls. 

I am therefore reiterating a comment from my last message that I am appalled at this strange and dodgy behaviour from the sales team. Very weird to leave silent messages and not respond when I answer the phone to the calls. I genuinely struggle to understand how this is good for Virgin's long term reputation. 

I still would not advise anyone to give out their information during one of their calls. As some other commenters have also said, it could well be scam-callers faking the number. 

I can confirm, to my surprise, that the calls have stopped. I'm no longer receiving blocklist notifications of calls from this number.. meaning that for me it has been Virgin all along. 
I believe I had two accounts with Virgin perhaps, which is why turning off marketing emails didn't do the trick but since having that call with Customer Services 2 weeks ago regarding the matter, there have been no more calls. 

I am therefore reiterating a comment from my last message that I am appalled at this strange and dodgy behaviour from the sales team. Very weird to leave silent messages and not respond when I answer the phone to the calls. I genuinely struggle to understand how this is good for Virgin's long term reputation. 

I still would not advise anyone to give out their information during one of their calls. As some other commenters have also said, it could well be scam-callers faking the number. 

@Elli_96xxxxx wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

Dialling of the numbers for the sales calls will typically happen automatically. If there are not enough call handlers to respond when a customer answers the line, then the dialling system will drop the call or play a message. The result is an abandoned or silent call. Suppliers are supposed to design their call systems to minimise this happening and have enough staff available to field the calls. Those who do not can be reported to OFCOM

https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTSilentCalls

DerbyGig
On our wavelength

I have just received another call on my mobile from this number. If it is genuine then VirginMedia seriously need to review the call centre call quality, the line was terrible, could not understand a word the lady was saying due to poor quality sound and terrible english accent. I ended up just disconnecting the call and have now opted out of marketing to see if that makes a difference.

Hi DerbyGig.

Thank you for posting. Welcoming you back onto our forums.

Sorry to see you had trouble speaking to us, the lines are not just in the UK hence why sometimes there can be issues with poor quality.

Opting out of marketing will make a difference as you won't receive any marketing calls going forward.

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

BLOCKED.

Always call at an inconvenient time. Never leave a message. 

Irritating. Blocked. Go away. Thank you.