cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media want to replace cable to house

bobbyg3
Just joined

Hi there,

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I want to give a full picture of the situation I'm in. I've searched for answers elsewhere but all other posts relate to Virgin Media having to install a new cable to provide the service in the first place.

An engineer turned up at my door on Thursday/Friday last week wanting to do some checks on my line. Apparently there was "interference" coming from my property - and their checks confirmed this. To fix the issue, they want to replace the cable to my house. They have scheduled an appointment for this to happen on the 16th.

I am very happy with the service I'm getting. I get the broadband speed advertised and the TV service is almost flawless. I've had the odd short outage at times over the last couple of years, but nothing I'm too concerned about, and if anything the performance is better than any over ISP I've ever had.

So what is the benefit to me from having the cable replaced?

My concern is the impact from them digging up my front garden to install the new cable. I've only just (earlier this year) had a new block paved driveway installed. There is no clear soft run from the pavement to the box on the wall. They will most likely have to dig up part of my new driveway. Let's face it - it is an almost certainty that it will not be reinstated to its present condition (very good condition, being only a few months old). Even before reading the dozens of experiences others have had with the quality of workmanship, I had concerns about this.

When I say "part" of the driveway, they'd only need to go through a narrow pathway to get to the box on the wall. So maybe they'll be able to go under it - maybe not. Even so, the box on the wall is situated in the middle of a newish patch of decorative gravel, with all the lawn edging, weed barriers etc that come with it. Again, let's face it - it will not be reinstated to its present condition. I do not have the time or energy to do any more work in the garden myself, having only just got it into a good state over the last couple of years (all the "lost" weekends, etc).

They might be able to dig up a less prominent part of the new driveway by clipping the cable to the inside of a fence and the exterior wall of the house - but I don't want to have to see the cable to be honest - it's currently buried out of sight.

So again, what benefit is there to me in having the cable replaced, especially given I will be left with an installation that to me is worse than what I have currently.

If it was a nice clear soft run to the house or if they could guarantee it would be reinstated to its current condition and/or not run the cable aboveground anywhere - then fine - even though I'd personally see no benefit, I'd be happy to let them do it. 

If I didn't already have a Virgin Media service or if I was experiencing significant issues with my service then chances are I'd accept them having to do this work.

Can I cancel the appointment to replace the cable? Is my contract likely to state that must allow Virgin Media to do any necessary maintenance work on my property?

I appreciate I might be coming across a bit selfish here, as for all I know others are experiencing issues that would be rectified by Virgin Media doing this work. However I wasn't told this was the case, so I have to assume they are going for "path of least resistance". Perhaps there are other things they could be doing to improve things.

Thank you for reading and any advice you can give.

3 REPLIES 3

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Strictly speaking under the outrageously one sided VM Ts and Cs on this you have already consented to VM and its contractors entering your property (even if it's to benefit other customers):

"Q. Visiting your home
1. You authorise us to install, keep and use equipment at your home and you
agree that we and our employees, agents or contractors may enter your
home so that we can:
1. carry out any work that is necessary for us to connect, maintain, alter,
replace or remove any equipment necessary for us to supply the
services you and others have asked for; "

At the end of the day it's your property so you ultimately decide what is/isn't going to happen on it. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is no doubt that VM are trying to deal with an SNR issue (Signal-to-noise Ratio) on the local network. The source of the interfering noise, which is degrading the service to other customers on the same cabinet & other cabinets downstream, has been traced to your drop line. Problems like this can be caused by DIY alterations or a deteriorating drop line, & can be very difficult to trace, so can have long resolution times. Indeed VM may be paying compensation to other customers due to the service issues caused by your problem. Hence now they have traced it they want to resolve it quickly, & bear in mind the cable is their property. They will reinstate as best they can, but inevitably there will be some disruption to your property.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It may just be coincidence, but since you have just had a new driveway laid could this be when the cable was damaged? 

Unfortunately if you want to continue the VM service they are going to have to replace the cable.  The only alternative would be to disconnect you at the street cabinet.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.