cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recycle or Return

caveman38
Dialled in

Although this question has appeared before the answers vary and I need definitive advice. 5 months ago I was upgraded from Hub 3 to 5. The advice was to recycle the old hub. There was no label in the box but searches revealed that I could recycle via. O2 shop or local council recycle yard. I am now being bombarded with SMS's and emails quoting my Hub3 serial number and the need to return it. 

Do they want proof of return in which case will O2 give me a receipt, do I need a Yodel label or can I safely dispose of it but have no guarantee that VM won't contact me again and perhaps eventually charge me?

19 REPLIES 19

I kept mine for several months in case this incompetent company changed its mind! Now I am getting demands. It's obviously a money-grabbing scam. Mine is long gone now.

spell
Knows their stuff

This is a well known scam that has been going on for years. Basically you are told to dispose of the item because it is obsolete then after doing so you receive a letter demanding £40. After unsuccessfully attempting to resolve the situation in a reasonable manner Virgin Media will resort to bullying debt collectors and unauthorised interference with credit records. There are enough stressed victims who will pay up just to free themselves of Virgin to make it worth their while.

in my case I was told that I was a liar until they became aware that I had a recording of the phone call instructing me to dispose of the box in a responsible manner (apparently Virgin want to save the planet).

Perhaps during their investigation perhaps Ofcom could have a look at the commission of deliberate criminal fraud. 

pjcnet
Dialled in

I was sent out a new router to upgrade me to 1 gigabit, nice after moving to O2, but I didn't agree to any of it at any time and I had no option to install it before it said they'd turn off the old router, now I'm being hassled to return the old equipment, it's here, but not sure where the return info is and there's no place to return it within walking distance since with health conditions I can't walk far. If Virgin Media want to collect it be my guest, I repeat I didn't and wouldn't have agreed to any of this.

Hey pjcnet, thank you for reaching out and I am so sorry to hear this

I have taken a look at the account and I can see you've spoke to us since this post did they manage to get this resolved for you? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It would be a great help if the account recorded details like this, instead of staff having to ask the customer what has happened. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

CPE Reverse this comes up using that link above sounds iffy to me

also no return label in the hub box, they're forcing me to change to digital phone line so they can pay for the 10 year old hub to be returned

Hi @outlaw2000 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I need to clarify something; we're not forcing the change. This is a government mandate as the telephone exchanges are closing. 

I'll send you a PM now to assist further with this.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

kim2u
Joining in

I am also being bombarded by text and emails to return a hub I told by a Virgin rep in Sheffield to recycle at my local recycle centre. I have done what I was told and taken it to local centre, so now the hub is gone. So better not get charged for doing something I was told to do.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, kim2u.
Thank you for taking the time to join our help forums and a welcome to the VM community. great to have you on board! 🙂

We're sorry to see you're receiving SMS notifications about returning your hub 3 after we've advised to dispose it, this can be very confusing and far from the experience we want for you as a customer.

We'd love to best assist you, we can advise that you may disregard the communication sent in case you've disposed/recycled your kit in the past. These customers will not be charged and no further reminders will be sent.

However, to make sure it's all sorted for you I can have a closer look and confirm this so I'll send you a PM soon.
Please, check the top right-hand side of our page to find a little white envelope.
Click on this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs