cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Install Tale of Woe Since October.... So Far

exasperatedmatt
Dialled in

I guess i am posting this more to make me feel better, as I am well aware that I just have to wait things out as Virgin Media don't have any idea at all what their contractors actually are doing.

Anyway this is my current situation:

Ordered12/09/22 
First Install Date20/10/22Waited In and cancelled
Second Install Date21/11/22Waited In and cancelled
Third Install Date13/12/22Waited In and cancelled
Fourth Install Date11/01/23Cancelled 2 days before
Fifth Install Date02/02/23New Scheduled Date

I was told on ordering that as my road was already fibre enabled, then installation would be quick as they only needed to pull a cable. That was a lie, as the road needed to be dug up, and a CATV access point installed in the pavement outside my property.

In reality that was done quite quickly, and there has been a CATV access point, with a blue rope inside it outside my house since early November.

It now seems though that a cable pull is the issue, I have no idea what the issue is, and if somebody from virgin media can enlighten me as to the real issue that would be great.

I have been told multiple stories, cars in the way (nobody knocked and asked for them to be moved), roadworks, contractor holidays, shortage of cable, underground blockages, pandemic, rat infestation, too cold, too hot, too wet, too dry, leaves on the line etc etc. Honestly I don't really care, just  get it done, how hard can it be.......

90 REPLIES 90

Are you able to try this link and let us know how you get on? https://virg.in/mycases

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

That works thank you.

So a further update on the situation.

Well the short answer is no change, still waiting for a cable pull, 2 more date changes, and currently 168 days (6 months since first promised install date). This will be my 9th Install Date.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago, one of Virgin's contractors (Avonline) pulled up outside, and finally i found out more information about the real issue.

Between the cabinet and my house are 3 hatches that they need to get to. The first hatch nearest the cabinet is right on the junction of a busy A road and our Cul-De-Sac. The second 2 hatches are in the Cul-de-sac.

First issue seems to be that the first hatch's location is an issue, and the contractors only wanted to open it at 5am when the traffic was light, which would require overtime sign off, which was not forthcoming at the moment,

The second issue has been that cars were blocking access to the other 2 hatches on the two previous times that they have attempted to do this, so they give up. Also the fact that it might be 5 am means they can't ask for cars to be moved as it is too early.

So feels like an impasse, if overtime gets signed off, they turn up but may have blocked vehicles, cancel and restart. I offered to help, and asked them to let me know when they are coming, then I could ask my neighbours not to park over the hatches, but that seemed to be too difficult for them.....

I am also not sure why bollards or temp traffic lights or stop/go signs or 2 crews to manage traffic and open hatch in the daytime are not options, they told me they only need it open for a short time, but none of these solutions seem to be on offer.

Anyway Avonline don't seem to care as it is Virgin paying the compensation.

I will update again when/if it finally gets installed.

And this morning install date pushed back another month....to May13th, the 10th date provided.

That is 173 days delay since 20/10/22 first promised install date, which is £908.25 so far @5.25 per day. Table below shows detail, add in 3 missed appointments and hassle factor, it is tragic.

As I said before it seems Avonline, Virgin's contractor have no incentive contractually to fix the issue, as any penalty is picked up by Virgin. Whoever in Virgin signed this contract should have been fired, and whoever now owns the contract should also be fired for not getting it amended,

Ordered12/09/22  
First Install Date20/10/22Waited In and cancelled 
Second Install Date21/11/22Waited In and cancelled 
Third Install Date13/12/22Waited In and cancelled 
Fourth Install Date11/01/23Cancelled 2 days before 
Fifth Install Date02/02/23Cancelled 2 days before 
Sixth Install Date27/02/23Cancelled 2 days before 
Seventh Install Date17/03/23Cancelled 3 days before 
Eighth Install Date01/04/23Cancelled 3 days before 
Ninth Install Date13/04/23Cancelled 2 days before 
Tenth Install Date13/05/23TBC 

Thanks for keeping us updated. No doubt VM will try to avoid paying the compensation, but you seem to have a solid case. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

As of April 1 it's £5.83 per day and £29.15 per missed appointment. The wording isn't 100% clear that your delayed install rate is going to change since it's an existing order, but your missed appointment rate will. I would argue that being told today that it's been delayed again would count as a "new service issue" so the increased rate is due for all delay dates from now.

Automatic compensation: What you need to know - Ofcom

exasperatedmatt
Dialled in

Quick Update, just come off the phone to Virgin who wanted to confirm that I will be in on Saturday 13th May for Install, when i pointed out that this was the tenth time, Apparently this time it will definitely go ahead.........

Slight issue is that there is still no cable, which has been the problem for the last nine months.

I want to believe, but i will be amazed if it does actually happen.

I feel like such a newbie with only 3 install dates and numerous visits, I’ve just about given up it’s amazing you’ve lasted so long. I’ve two ducts with draw rope, one to the house and the other to the VM cabinet 20m away, must be simplest install they will get.

IMG_2300.jpeg

exasperatedmatt
Dialled in

So 3 hours after calling me to confirm, I get an email and text giving me a new date of Saturday 10th June.

Currently at 201 days past the original promised install date.

Beyond parody really.

Normally, I’d advise that you make sure you keep full and proper records of every single interaction with VM regarding this, what was promised, what actually happened etc. But it does seem that you are already doing this, and this will prove to be invaluable when, inevitably, VM try to avoid paying the mandated compensation (I fully expect the ‘provisional dates’ excuse to be trotted out at some point, along with ‘local authority permissions’, so not our fault guv); and this whole sorry mess ends up at the industry adjudicators.

In the meantime, if you don’t mind me asking, what are you using as an alternative internet provision at the moment The received wisdom is to not cancel the VM installation but just let the compensation rack up. Set yourself a deadline, ie if not installed by 30th May, then I’m just going to sign up with xyz provider, but simply don’t engage anymore with VM, don’t chase it, until they either connect you up (in which case, you immediately cancel under the 14 day cooling off period requirements - and they still owe you, the compensation in the form of a cheque), or they finally decide that they aren’t going to do it and issue you with a formal ‘cease notice’.

Now throughout these forums, I can’t say I’ve ever read a report by anyone who claims that they have been sent one of these - it may be that VM’s installation people are literally so incompetent that they don’t know these even exist! Basically it is a declaration from VM that they can’t (or won’t) connect you up and hence as of xyz date, they will no longer be paying compensation. The kicker though is that they have to give 30 days notice of this. So. hypothetically, if they were to send you one tomorrow, they are still legally obliged to pay you for another 30 days, so making 232 days of compensation owing!