cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent internet connection

Norette
Joining in
  • Since February the signal to my TV box is constantly dropping and disconnecting requiring me to reboot my set box and the router nearly every other day. I have another TV box in another room which my son uses and when this happens to my TV box he has no issues and can still play Xbox live with no issues. The faults team are saying that my router may have to be relocated or I may need WiFi pods (both costly) and there is no guarantee that either of these options will rectify the issue. I do not believe relocating the router will make any difference as the router has always been where it is and these issues have only started since February of this year. I have got a complaint registered with virgin regarding this issue. Have spoken to faults team numerous times and have had 2 engineers visit but still the issue keeps happening. The signal to both the TV boxes were good on Friday and there were no issues but last night it happened again and the signal strength dropped from 52 per cent good to 37 percent marginal on my box but my son was fine with his TV box and was also fine on Xbox live. On checking is the service down website it was showing an outage in the RM6 area and today is the same but when you speak to the faults team they say everything is fine. I have also gone through  the topics on the forum and I do not appear to be the only customer with issues with connection. Some have actually mentioned that the router ot my TV box could be faulty and need replacing (over 10 years oId I think). I am at my wits end as not getting anywhere with the faults team and I am paying an extortionate amount for a service which is unsatisfactory. I am in my mid 60s and just want a decent service and value for money. Can anyone help.
29 REPLIES 29

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A a test run a temp Ethernet cable to the box and see if this works. If it does not then the box may be faulty. If it does work then the WiFi may be too weak?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

This was all done when engineers came and they said TV box was fine but then all they did was check the cables to the box and router. I have noticed that the signal drops when there is an outage which seems to be everyday though according to virgin there aren't any.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is this TV box? Is it a Virgin Media one - in which case, which one? https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

VM's live TV service doesn't use the internet for linear channels (only for VoD & streaming) so I'm confused why your router needs restarting.

Or is this just an internet-connected TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

It's a virgin TV V6 box and the signal strength to the box shows 100 per cent but when you check the network signal strength in the morning it is 52 per cent  good but then drops which it has now to 45 per cent marginal. The TV box works ok to watch TV but on many occasions the signal light appears on the front panel of the box and does not go away and I have to reboot the box so I can view on demand or recorded programmes. 

Norette
Joining in

I have already posted regarding this but it is now getting ridiculous. I am watching my TV V6 box my son is watching his TV V6 box and playing on Xbox live with no problems but on my V6 box the white signal connecting to internet has come on the front panel of the box and has remained static. This means that when I go to on demand and to watch my recorded programmes I am either unable to do so and have to reboot the box which then disrupts with what i am recording. I have also just checked is the service down and there appears to be an outage and others with loss of internet and this issue always happens when there is an outage. This has been going on since February and becoming a joke. Please someone help.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Is this a V6 converted to a 360? Because if it's a V6 the broadband connection plays no part in playback of recorded programmes.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How are you checking the signal strength?

This will also answer Roger's question of whether you have a TiVo-software V6, or Horizon-software TV360. He's absolutely right to say that the internet connection has nothing to do with viewing recordings on V6 boxes, but does on TV360.

It's a TiVo V6 box. I check the signal strength through the home page settings page on the TiVo box. Check network status. The signal light has come on again tonight on the front panel and has stayed  on since 8.00 pm tonight. I am able to view my recordings at the moment. Any ideas why my TiVo V6 is constantly having this issue. It seems to be every time there is an outage.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you photograph "V6 box the white signal connecting to internet has come on the front panel of the box and has remained static", the symbol for lost-connectivity on a V6 is two-red-arrows, not anything white?

As for your recordings..

Are you sure these aren't VoD shortcuts? By design, OnDemand shortcuts are intended to have the "look & feel" of recordings and show in your "My Shows" list but are shortcuts to VoD. The clue is the lack of a recording icon to the left of the programme name.

Series Links can be set to include "recordings only" or "recordings & streaming videos", and while the V6's internet connection is unavailable, VoD won't work while recordings will.

I suspect the underlying issue of the poor wireless connectivity is an in-home issue - Ethernet is always recommended, given a choice.