cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 Mayhem

Miguelr
Joining in

Hi there, 

I wonder if anyone can give me a few answers because my VM Super Hub 3 is driving me up the wall.... a while ago, it started giving out "random" IP addresses to the point that my computers actually stopped "talking" to one another.

I have the Hub as a router with wifi switched off. Wifi is provided by a TP link mesh cloud. To avoid clashing with the wifi DHCP server (192.168.0.1) I set up the super hub to give IP's in the range of 192.168.44.x.

The machine is giving out all sorts of IP addresses. Some equipment - very few - does actually get the 192.168.44.x and the rest is pretty much random: 192.168.10.x, 192.168.68.x, and 192.168.0.x

To make things worse NO machine can access the Super Hub webpage which is supposed to be 192.168.0.1.

I don't know how many times I have hard reset the hub. It's simply boring. My next step is to disable the router put it into modem mode only and use a proper router to deal with the rest of the network. My question, or better, questions are:

Why can't I access the router settings page? Even if I put a computer on a 192.168.0.x address it still does not load the page. And I am sick and tired of resetting the hub.

The second question would be why is the hub giving out random IPs?

Thanks

M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far a I know VM hubs will now only work with a DHCP of 192.168.0.0/24. You should run the VM hub in modem mode and let your mesh be the router. This should fix all your problems,

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Hmm very random...unless you have HomePlug - Network Via Mains and your having a house LAN party.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far a I know VM hubs will now only work with a DHCP of 192.168.0.0/24. You should run the VM hub in modem mode and let your mesh be the router. This should fix all your problems,

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Miguelr
Joining in

Thank you for the reply. There are a lot of uncertainties and a lot of obscure tings. I wonder if you could shed some light on them.

first things first.

1 - when I switched the SH3 to modem mode, I could connect to it via a PC (I have both PC and Macs) and the ip that the modem gave out was a static 77.xxx.xxx.xxx number . I suspect that the DHCP feature was not enabled. I reset the SH3 , went back to router mode, Made sure that the DHCP server was one, switched back to router and got the exact same result. 

2 - when in modem mode , do all ports on the SH 3 work or just the one? If only one port woks which one does?

The thing with the SH3 is that I get random results every time I reset it . I bought a little UBIQUITI EDGE ROUTER X to do the hard work and leave the SH3 as a modem only but when I enable the above modem mode I get the 77.xxx.xxx.xxx IP and when I enter this value on the Edge Router X as a static value , the router "replies" that there is no internet connection.

Many thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Once in modem mode only one port can be used.  It will get a WAN address from the network.

So, connect your Edge in DHCP mode to the Hub in modem mode and reboot the Hub.  Leave the Edge powered on. Once the Hub has settled the Edge should get a WAN address.  All other connections should now be on the Edge.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

UBIQUITI EDGE ROUTER X WAN port set to DHCP you don't use static. I think you should of got a home router to learn the basics.   

---------------------------------------------------------------