cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd issue - website loads fine on 5G and iMac on WiFi but not on iPhone or iPad on WiFi

Midinotes
Joining in

This problem is driving me nuts!   In the last week my iPad and iPhone, when connected to our Virgin WiFi (full fibre) will not open www.3churches.org.  They just time out.  I have deleted all website data, reset both devices, to no avail.  If I switch to 5G the website opens fine, but when on WiFi only this site will not open  (all other websites seem to be fine).  The odd thing is that my iMac which is also on the same WiFi network opens the website fine.  All devices use Safari browser.  Any ideas?

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

When enabled, Apple Relay routes all your traffic via an Apple exit point, i.e. it functions much like a VPN.
I suspect that Apple Relay also bypasses VMs Child Safe and Virus Safe web filters.

Just keep a mental note that Apple Relay is enabled,  in case some other website or app that was absolutely fine, suddenly grinds to a halt.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

fibreking
On our wavelength

Possibly DNS issue. Check if the Mac and the phone are using the same DNS servers? Assume you rebooted the router. Install a VPN app on the phone and try that.

Client62
Legend

Try with Apple Relay disabled.

Midinotes
Joining in

Well Apple Relay was already disabled on my iPad and iPhone - so I thought enable it and see what happens.... and it fixed it!   No idea why but at least it's fixed the issue, thank you both for helping me find a solution.

Simon

Client62
Legend

When enabled, Apple Relay routes all your traffic via an Apple exit point, i.e. it functions much like a VPN.
I suspect that Apple Relay also bypasses VMs Child Safe and Virus Safe web filters.

Just keep a mental note that Apple Relay is enabled,  in case some other website or app that was absolutely fine, suddenly grinds to a halt.

Well great it solves the issue but not so great that Apple Relay keeps coming and going. One minute it's available, next it isn't.  Does this mean there's an issue with Virgin Media's DNS servers?   It's a pretty harmless Church website so it does make me wonder.  Are there are any decent free DNS servers I can use instead to see if that helps, or do I have to pay for a VPN?

Thanks again Client62 🙂

Simon

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Coudflare is 1.1.1.1  and Google 8.8.8.8  both free.

Proton offer a decent VPN which has a very good "free" option - albeit with some limited functionality - but it does everything I need 😎

https://protonvpn.com/free-vpn

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Legend

On your VM connection ( with Apple Relay OFF ) does the VM DNS return the correct IP for your website ?

Below I perform the lookup first with Virgin DNS and then with Google Public DNS - the result for me is identical.

C:\Users\Philip>nslookup www.3churches.org
Server: cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: 3churches.org
Address: 87.247.245.133
Aliases: www.3churches.org

C:\Users\Philip>nslookup www.3churches.org 8.8.8.8
Server: dns.google
Address: 8.8.8.8

Address: 87.247.245.133
Aliases: www.3churches.org

Midinotes
Joining in

Hi Philip

I get exactly the same result as you on my iMac (which works fine with 3churches.org). However not sure how I do this command line test on my iOS devices to test.  Will have to research that!

Midinotes
Joining in

Only slight difference on my iMac is the hash 53 after the addresses:

simon@Simons-iMac ~ % nslookup www.3churches.org

Server: 194.168.4.100

Address: [REMOVED]

www.3churches.org canonical name = 3churches.org.

Address: [REMOVED]

simon@Simons-iMac ~ % nslookup www.3churches.org 8.8.8.8

Server: 8.8.8.8

Address: [REMOVED]

www.3churches.org canonical name = 3churches.org.

Address: [REMOVED]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]