cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create a separate app password

nijmegen92
On our wavelength

Hi. My wife has just got an iPhone. We are trying to set up her virginmedia email on it, which she has been using for a long time. I have read the help section on the VM  website about generating a separate app password to do this. However! We share a VM account, so when I log into this the only email address that I can generate an app password for is our joint email address, and I don’t need to do this for ours, just for her individual one. So, anybody have any ideas how I might do this please? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nijmegen92 Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign out of your 'joint account' and then Sign into your wife's account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

During this process you will be asked to set a new third party email address as the username for the secondary email address so you will need to make sure that your wife has another email address such as a Gmail or outlook one setup so that you can use this for the VM username.  After doing all this you should finally be able to see the option to generate an app password on the secondary account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nijmegen92 Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign out of your 'joint account' and then Sign into your wife's account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

During this process you will be asked to set a new third party email address as the username for the secondary email address so you will need to make sure that your wife has another email address such as a Gmail or outlook one setup so that you can use this for the VM username.  After doing all this you should finally be able to see the option to generate an app password on the secondary account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hello Graham. Thank you, we will give that a try.

Hello again. Yes, many thanks, your solution worked as you stated and we now have her email up and running on her new phone. Very helpful of you. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nijmegen92  Brilliant news.  Pleased that this worked for you.

Hello again. I was just wondering if you have any ideas about this, as you were so helpful yesterday? She can access her emails on her new phone, but they now don’t come through on her iPad. I have tried going through that same process to generate a new password, but the VM website does not now recognise her email address at all, even though she is a joint account holder. I can log in and access our email accounts, but all now have a triangle next to them with that usual error message about credentials. I am reluctant to just try something without knowing what I am doing as I don’t want to lose access to all emails. Any advice would be welcome, but I appreciate that this may require a call to VM to sort out. Thank you.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On your wife's iPad you would need to use the same generated app password that worked successfully on her new phone.

When you say that you can login and see all the email addresses is that via VM webmail? Are the accounts with the warning triangle secondary ones that you have added to the primary account webmail view?

Sorry, please ignore my last message as I have managed to sort this now. Thanks again for your previous help.

Hi nijmegen92

Thanks for letting us know.

We are happy to hear this is now resolved 🙂

If you do have any further questions, please pop back to us here and we would be happy to help.

Take care. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide