cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Issues - @ntlworld.com - not sending, from Outlook and other issues.

borse2008
Tuning in

Good morning all, 

So last night my dad called me to say he had issues with his original email accounts originally being @ntlworld.com email addresses.  

So he is receiving emails for years and still is receiving emails via webmail and outlook so the account is active on both email addresses linked to his VM account when checked.  So we have had these issues where anything he sends out from his phone or computer via Outlook just fails.  So VM introduced using App Passwords when using a third party app.  Now in order to access the app password it is very tricky and sends you around in all sorts on circles on the website and asks you to change some sign in emails to other email addresses so we did this, and we could get in.  We managed to create two brand new app generated passwords and attempted to re enter these passwords on Outlook authentication but it still wouldnt work. Just got the normal outlook authentication is wrong yet when trying on another Outlook version the "new" Outlook on Windows 11, it did add the account with the password but didnt let me send anything.  To rule out the computer side its something to do with the mailbox security as i added the ntlworld accounts into Outlook for iOS with the app passwords where its been receiving emails and when updated the new password it still came back with Outlook delivery reports to the recipients mailbox address as "authentication failed." The odd thing to all of this Outlook on computer and iphone is receiving mail items all up to date and historical emails are fetching its just the sending, is there a change the Outgoing addresses?

When checking the accounts on VM Webmail it came up with a number of conflicting results, under accounts it was saying one account had bad credentials and needed changing and the other account was disabled even though we have successfully logged into them and sending/recieving emails. Mailboxes have plenty of space left quota is not full

So as a workaround ive setup two new email addresses under google mail and said this may be your time to move to a fresh new email account. Ive setup an autoforward and an autoreply from webmail to help his contacts know he is moving on from ntlworld.

What is not clear from VM is this

• What is the official 2024 stance on email accounts running @ntlworld.com?
  • Are VM turning off accounts and preventing users using this?
  • VM staff do not know what App Passwords blurb is? I had a rep last night had to keep referring to her manager/supervisor on this?
  • Why cant VM give the customer a chance to convert there email to a new alias or vm domain?
  • What are the up to date Incoming and Outgoing server information have they adjusted this or turned something off?

Hope this helps others as its stopped working on 09/04/24.

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@borse2008 wrote:

What is not clear from VM is this

• What is the official 2024 stance on email accounts running @ntlworld.com?

Please note, Virgin Media no longer offers the ability for customers to create new Virgin Media email addresses. Customers with an existing Virgin Media email address will not be affected; their mail account will remain as is.”, [source, How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help]

• Are VM turning off accounts and preventing users using this?

Email accounts no longer linked to an active Virgin Media broadband account and where more than 90 days have passed since service termination are at risk of being deleted without notice

• VM staff do not know what App Passwords blurb is? I had a rep last night had to keep referring to her manager/supervisor on this?

AFAICS sadly such frustrations on phone seems to be the norm

• Why cant VM give the customer a chance to convert there email to a new alias or vm domain?

See previous comments

• What are the up to date Incoming and Outgoing server information have they adjusted this or turned something off?

See Email settings change - Virgin Media Community - 3369438

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

smithysmoo
Tuning in

Spent hours onto the online chat with the same issue to be told to contact gadget help and then they cut me off. Not very happy with this...I also asked for the pop3 details to check they were correct and was told they don't supply them ask an it guy...Not helpful at all and still not working this morning...

Pol_T
Joining in

I have has same issue since Monday

I created a new account with usual details (email address and password) and it synchronised and works fine

Then I deleted the old account

Webmail via browser not working

JCmacc
Up to speed

Lots of us have had an issue on legacy ntlworld accounts where there's been an IP block added to the account for reasons of "spam being sent" although there's no evidence of any spam going out.

Check the details of any error messages when you try to send and see if IP is mentioned.

The diagnostic features we all saw were:

- no mail could be sent via Outlook (or other App) via home wi-fi

- mail could be sent either via the Web Mail App or using Outlook and phone data

There's a form you can fill in to VM Tech support to get the IP block removed. It's happened quickly for those of us that needed it. I've posted the link here many times if you want to search my previous posts.