cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear VM Staff, Is there an ongoing issue in my area?

Phixion
Dialled in

Hello!

Sorry to bother you guys, but can you please check to see if there are any ongoing issues in the TF1 area? My connection has been experiencing packetloss recently, especially during busy periods. I am getting anywhere from 1-5% packetloss which is ruining online gaming.

Kind regards,

phixion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Phixion,

Thanks for posting and sorry to see you've been having some connection issues. 

I've had a look at things from our side, and can see you've been advised of an intermittent connectivity issue in the area. The estimated fix time for this is 14 NOV 2023 09:00 Please let us know if you're still having issues after this date.

Alex_Rm

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

carl_pearce
Community elder

Have you already checked the below site:

https://www.virginmedia.com/support/help/service-status/identification/identify

If it comes back ok do the additional tests to see if it finds anything.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not proactively monitor home connections, they only know there is a fault when someone reports it. So:

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 If you have a VM landline 150 this goes down to post code level. You could also try the web page status, but this is not recommended as it only covers issues that affect a very large number of customers.

VM will not dispatch any technicians while an area fault exists.

If no area faults found:

The primary place to report faults or for service requests is Customer Services on 0345 454 1111/150 if you have a VM landline or wait two or three days for a VM staff member to get to your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Phixion,

Thanks for posting and sorry to see you've been having some connection issues. 

I've had a look at things from our side, and can see you've been advised of an intermittent connectivity issue in the area. The estimated fix time for this is 14 NOV 2023 09:00 Please let us know if you're still having issues after this date.

Alex_Rm

Thanks for the reply Alex_RM,

It seems to have settled now, I was getting constant 5% packet loss.

Thank you for popping back to us @Phixion 

I have double checked and I can see the outages is still present with a resolution date of November 22nd at 12pm. 

Please do continue to monitor this and let us know how things are looking after this time? 

Will do, thanks again!

Hi Phixion, 

I've had a check on things today and can see the fault has been extended. The new estimated fix time is showing as: 28 NOV 2023 09:00. 

Just to explain things a little further, the fault is a SNR outage - SNR (signal to noise ratio). This is just a technical term for interference of the Broadband signal caused by noise which ingresses on to our network. It's a difficult problem to locate and diagnose. This is because noise can ingress anywhere on our network. As a general rule it's normally caused by customer equipment e.g. loose connections or 3rd party equipment attached to our network. However it can also be attributable to local architecture, e.g street cabinets, cabling or at the origin of the signal which we call the Headend (servers/routing system). The only way to establish where the noise is originating is for the Network Techs to run a series of trace routes. Once found then the cause dictates he amount of work required and the time frame for resolution. 

Please keep us posted on how things go after this date and apologies once again for the inconvenience. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs