cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coax linking a 2nd Router in Modem mode

iwasrory87
Settling in

Hi, 

I've done some excessive googling to get here. I have a 2nd Router. I do not wish to use it as a Router. I have a coax splitter with booster from my old house. 

What I want to do is this: 

I want to split the coax cable. One goes to my main router - This will be unchanged and will remain the router. The second line, I wish to take to a dead spot where I need a wired connection. If I put the 2nd router (exactly the same as my main one) in to Modem mode, will I be able to use the Ethernet ports effectively? Will the Coax cable carry the internet in to the "drone router"? 

I want to use the Coax as it'll be able to handle this better than a Cat5/6 ethernet cable.

To clarify this: I do not wish for it to broadcast a WiFi Signal - merely provide a wired connection. 

Thanks in advance. 

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You can't use two hubs

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

I do not believe VM will activate a second VM Hub at one property.

However if you have a run of coax in the ring place that could be pressed into service with MoCA Adapters.

Or just replace the coax with a network cable & fit a switch on the remote end to provide the required number of network sockets.

Not even if one is put in to Modem mode? 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@iwasrory87 wrote:

Not even if one is put in to Modem mode? 

VM will not install more than one hub at an account address. Even in the exceptional circumstances they have done this in the past they will charge you for two separate accounts (ie. Two Broadband connections).

I would also point out that you alter VM network coax at your own risk. Use of non-standard cabling & connectors risks ingress of RF noise from outside the network that could disrupt the entire network segment.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You should be able to do all your needs by a router that can do subnet LANs or even more advanced setups  

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"I want to use the Coax as it'll be able to handle this better than a Cat5/6 ethernet cable." Not unless you use expensive signal converters and then it would not be better that a good Cat6a or Cat8 Ethernet cable. The best, cheapest and easiest solution is to just run a Cat6a cable from the VM hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi @iwasrory87 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

As @Client62 and @nodrogd have correctly advised, we can't activate a second Hub at a single property.

Taking into account all the excellent advice provided, do you have any further queries at this stage?

Please pop back to us whenever you're ready and we'll do our very best to help.

Regards,
Daniel