cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOLT - Virgin/O2 - Anyone got a speed increase?

Feverdog2872
On our wavelength

Has any Virgin Media customer actually got confirmation of a speed increase to the next level after purchasing a pay monthly sim from 02 via the Volt link?

When buying and checking via 02 it says "You already have Volt benefits, or can't get them in your area"

A few people are saying that you actually have to upgrade your current Virgin package to get the increase, but the advertising says

"Double data on every eligible O2 Pay Monthly plan in your name, in your household. Plus a broadband speed boost to the next available level of Virgin Media fibre broadband (if you don’t already have the fastest speeds you can get in your area)"

Currently on M350 and was hoping to get free boost to M500

Nothing's ever simple is it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shroko
Superfast

As long as your name is on both the VM contract and your new O2 SIMO, you will benefit from Volt. 

From what I have read, others have said they've been told there can be a 14 day delay before you get the boosts in speed and data. 

This is presumably because VM and O2 are separate companies, and VM have to confirm your status. 

Have you gone on to My O2 and "opted in"?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

173 REPLIES 173

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Feverdog2872

Thanks for your Question 

Do you have the link URL for the page you are referring to please 

Gareth_L

Shroko
Superfast

As long as your name is on both the VM contract and your new O2 SIMO, you will benefit from Volt. 

From what I have read, others have said they've been told there can be a 14 day delay before you get the boosts in speed and data. 

This is presumably because VM and O2 are separate companies, and VM have to confirm your status. 

Have you gone on to My O2 and "opted in"?

From what i can gather by the way its worded in T&Cs of O2, you can be a VM customer (non Volt package even) and buy a cheaper O2 SIM Only from uswitch and then still get double data and a speed tier increase. So uswitch have 12GB for £8 on O2, so thats 24GB per month due to data doubling. It can be direct O2 or indirect (via someone else) SIM purchase. There are a couple of exclusions listed like watch sims.

What is interesting is that 500 and 1Gb are same price on VM - so does that mean a bump from 350 to 1gbs? If not, and you payed for an increase to 500mbps first, the bump to 1gbs isn't actually worth anything as both were same price (on BB only packages).

I did read on o2 that you have to "Opt-in" in MyO2 portal to get benefits, but I am also wondering if you then get hit the classic of "upgrade to Volt" or some nonsense about not qulaifying.

Yeah, I would presume there would have to be some checking and linking of both accounts.

Does seem like there should be a more streamlined way of checking eligibility and confirmation, as you have a 14 day cooling off period with O2 but if your not finding out if you qualified for 14 days, you might end up with a new sim contract you don't really want if for some reason the offer is not valid.

and taht's what worries me as the VM respond time to find out, is likely to be 16 days 😉 just enough to void the 14 day thing.....!

It does seem like it's been rushed out without any clear communication of how long or how you know you qualified, as we all seem to be getting the vague "You qualified or not available answer"

Exactly, lol.