cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract up for renewal but...

Anonymous
Not applicable

My contract is up for renewal next month. I'm happy to sign up to a new 18-month contract but only want Broadband (I currently have phone / TV - both of which I never use).

I've tried calling a couple of times a few days ago. The first time I called, nice guy on the phone realised that I wanted to go from a three-product package to a single product package, said they didn't deal with that and passed me to another team. They quoted a silly price for Broadband only, and wanted to charge me a cancellation fee. I tried to explain that I wanted the new contract to start when the new contract finished, but they wouldn't / couldn't understand this and insisting on only being able to start it from the day I called.

Next call, the person tried to sell me the 'everything' package and again, wouldn't / couldn't understand that I don't want to buy something I'm not going to use, no matter what the price. I then asked for a 'free' product to be removed, which caused my monthly fee to almost double.

Can someone help me swap to a Broadband only package, at a reasonable price, that starts on the same day my current contract finishes? Is it really that hard? 

11 REPLIES 11

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry you've not had the best experience with the team.

You can send a message to our team via WhatsApp on +447305 327 112 to negotiate a new deal. They'll  be more than happy to go through any suitable offers with you. 

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I've fired a message off to that number at 13:15 on 2nd September. I'll let you know how I get on. Simple request right? Should take no more than 10-15 mins?

Depends on the availability of a team member, with 100's of other customers contacting at the same time.

spell
Knows their stuff

Totally up to you of course but it would be a good time to see what options you may have with other providers some of whom do good deals on broadband only and have better reputations for customer service. The ridiculously high and costly fast speeds from VM are usually not required by the average domestic user.

Any attempt to reduce a package with VM will be strongly resisted even when out of contract to the extent that a package not agreed to will probably be forced on you - plus you'll probably end up with an O2 sim card and a nightmare to sort out. It is the VM business model 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Must be a busy day today. Had chat open since 13:15 and just connected to an agent now at 14:58. I'll keep this thread updated on how it goes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As predicted, started with the phase "I'd like to take out a broadband only package, fastest I can get for £xx'. After all the checks, I get a 'let me make the best package for you. Which TV channels do you watch. What time of day do you make calls on your landline" etc... 

spell
Knows their stuff

Yes its a kind of mental blockage where you don't get any part of the conversation - you are only the customer and must do as directed. Might be a good idea to retain transcripts - could end up anywhere.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Asked them to give me the best speed Broadband only package for £35. At 15:33, they finally got back to me saying 'I did try to tailor a package and I am not able to match the price'. They then suggested I get in touch with Customer Services (via phone) to help further...

What on earth is going on there... why couldn't the person say, 'the best I can do is Mxxx for £yy'. Why just cut me off?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Anonymous 

You would be better off giving VM a call on 150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, but best to call at 8am when lines first open to avoid call queues.

Choose option 4 retentions (thinking of leaving us) They are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract.

You might also be able to start an online chat messenger by logging into your account in My Virgin Media and clicking on Upgrade package, or try the cancellation route https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving  and click on the Chat Messenger there, both during normal office hours.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali