cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTMF Tones not working on DECT phone over VOIP

MrPaulJ
Tuning in

Hi.

I have had a new Virgin Router with 2 Voip connections installed for some months. Phone calls out and in work fine, but I recently noticed I am unable tp respond to menu options using the phones keypad.

Is there anything I need to change on my Panasonic Dect phones which are over 10 years old or are new phones required?

Thanks in advance..

24 REPLIES 24

Hi.

I borrowed a KX-TG251E from next door but on connecting it to my hub 5 I couldn't get a dial tone.. bummer..

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

If this is the case we may need to look into this in more depth.

I am going to send you a PM, please look out for my message in your inbox. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The most simple phone for testing purposes is a basic, cheapomatic corded phone from Argos (around £9 or £10 at time of writing this).

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5529610

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3924358

One of these pares your connection back to the most simple level and is always useful to have around for testing if future connection problems crop up as the simple corded connection bypasses any possible problems with cordless connections so buying one is not necessarily money wasted.

Does the replacement test phone dial out and receive calls (even with no dial tone). That unusual effect (a phone which works except for no dial tone) has been mentioned on here before with phones connected through the VM hub.

Given that you have now tried 3 phones, each with a variety of problems, I'd say you may well have some issue with your VM connection/equipment rather than your phones.

Hi.

Finally got a dial tone but the KX-TG251E did the same. Are there any hub settings I should be aware of, although I use mine in modem mode as I have a complex home network..

Thanks in advance

I have just sent you a PM, did you get this? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Client62
Legend

The DTMF ( touch tone ) signals are just pairs of audio tones played over the call.

Try calling to your mobile from the phone connected to the Hub, once connected press a few numbers and see if the tones are heard at the mobile.

Hi.

My BT Decor is a simple phone with a line connector, no DECT involved, that's what I used to use for troubleshooting, but in this case although I had a dial tone and dialled the 150 connection to Virgin, the keypad sent the tones but they weren't detected.

Does this help?

Thanks,

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The BT Decor range does crop up on here regularly with a range of issues on VM connections so may not be the best for testing purposes. If you are hearing the tones at your end, then there is some issue with transmission or reception of the tones at the other end.

As asked earlier, do you have problems with menu selection when you are calling just one particular number/company (Virgin Media?) or are the menu selection problems present for all numbers that you call that use a tone/menu feature?

Hi.

The plot thickens, I can dail out, the reciever answers but the reciever cannot hear me, although I can hear them.. and the same happens if the receiver then rings the home phone, I can hear them but they cannot hear me! So it appears there must be an issue somewhere. I am sure it did work at one time as I have phoned friends and family from the DECT phone but not recently. The issue only came to light once I realised that I couldn't use telephone menu systems.

Thanks,

goslow
Alessandro Volta

One-way comm's and calls cutting out mid-conversation are mentioned regularly on here with a 21CV connection from the VM hub.

If that pattern of one-way comm's is repeated using different phones (to eliminate a specific phone problem) then you are getting somewhere.

Over to VM to sort that one probably but at least you have now narrowed down the issue.