cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't remember my password to reset server as am being told credentials are needed

KHirst
Joining in

I know email has been down. I can check my emails in my virgin media but would also like them in my Gmail account. When I try to open my ntlworld account email they are not there. I just get a message that credentials are required. When I try to reset the in and out servers IMAP.ntlworld.com port 993 it's says that my username or password is incorrect. I cannot remember my password for this. 

8 REPLIES 8

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @KHirst 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're not able to access your mail through your gmail account at this time. 

Are you able to gain access to your online Virgin Media account? This would be the password needed to access your Virgin Media email account. 

If not, please to to use the option to reset your password on the My Virgin Media page here and try again. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

I have already done that. But the password does not work in my settings for the in and out servers. I have tried it. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@KHirst VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

Once you have the generated app password use this in the password fields for the incoming and outgoing servers in your email app.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for confirming this @KHirst 

Are you able to try the steps kindly provided by our VIP @Graham_A to see if this helps you gain access? 

Let us know if this has worked for you or if you have any further issues at all. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

I tried what was suggested and that did not work.

What happens when you tried the above @KHirst?

Keep us posted.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I tried what was suggested and it still came up that my user name and or password were incorrect 

Is the email we're discussing linked to an active cable account?

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill