cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails - cannot send or receive

liz30538
Superfast

Have been tortured all week not being able to send or receive emails Have been told different things by different agents First it’s because they say it’s because I don’t have a virus scanner on my account. I have VM Web Safe on my ipad

Then I was told it’s to do with the internet security team and the number of times I’ve changed my password. In the past week I’ve had to change it 5 times. Apparently because of this they have locked my account I can get email on VM browser but not on outlook I also can’t send emails. It was fine until about 1.00 pm then I kept getting error messages.Then I was told that it’s happened to a lot of people not just me, Now there has been an it ticket eventually raised after being told at 1.30 pm it would be raised, but wasn’t. It will take 5 days to sort this out. I’ve several complaints about this and am going to send it to head office. Totally sick of this

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

32 REPLIES 32

I'm sorry that this has not resolved things for you @liz30538 

As this is only effecting Outlook we would see this as a third party issue and not something we could assist with further. You can speak to our gadget rescue teams who may be able to advise further or a member of the community may be able to assist with some additional insight. 

Thank you. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@liz30538  As you have changed your password in My Virgin Media you will now have to create an email app password in order to access your VM mail via the Outlook app.  This is not something that Gadget Rescue can help you with. It is a recent change to secuity made by VM.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

@Ashleigh_C 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I’ve been able to generate an app password but now I’ve input it into the password section on my outlook app there is still no mail showing 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That is very odd if you can see the email content via the VM Mail web interface.

You may need to refresh the account in the Outlook app to ensure that all the folders in VM Mail are subscribed to in the app.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Could it be how the app is setup with imap and smtp. One of the executive team phoned yesterday, got me to delete the app and reinstall it Since then all my old emails aren’t there He said it would take about 3 hours to sync but it’s still just a blank page with no emails 

Spoiler
Got a new password When I input it I’m getting’imap.virginmedia.com is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in incoming mail server field’

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It could be that when you added the account to Outlook again it picked up the POP3 server settings rather than the IMAP settings.  

Can you help with the settings please

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

I’m also getting this error messageIMG_1456.png