cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

From Saturday 18 December until Friday 31 December, Virgin TV customers with a Virgin TV 360 or V6 box can enjoy our Virgin TV UHD channel (CH 228/999) at no extra cost.

Here’s a few of pixel-perfect performances you can look forward to 👇

The RSC Presents: The Tempest

Monday 20 December, 2pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

If you can’t make it to the theatre, then the theatre shall come to you! A showing of Shakespeare’s finest begins with The Tempest, where sorcerer Prospero creates a magical storm to wreak havoc with a ship containing his enemies. When the men wake up, they find themselves on Prospero’s island, where they are tested at every turn.

The RSC Presents: Twelfth Night

Tuesday 21 December, 2pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

This comedy about a case of mistaken identity is influenced by the traditional themes of end of Christmas celebrations. Twins Viola and Sebastian are separated in a shipwreck, each believing the other dead. When Viola disguises herself as a young man, there’s head-scratching and unrequited love all round.

The RSC Presents: Macbeth

Wednesday 22 December, 2pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

Call it the Scottish play or call it the Bard’s play, but don’t call it by its actual name in a theatre for fear of bestowing bad luck. That’s right, it’s Macbeth, where the titular character meets three witches, who set him on a murderous path. “Double, double toil and trouble; fire burn, and cauldron bubble…”

Charlie Wilson’s War

Wednesday 22 December, 9.30pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

A congressman (Tom Hanks), a socialite (Julia Roberts) and a CIA agent (Philip Seymour Hoffman) walk into a bar… not really, but they do come together to boost funding for covert operations in Afghanistan. These contribute to the fall of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War in this film based on a miraculous true story.

Swan Lake

Thursday 23 December, 2pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

This crowd-pleasing ballet with a majestic score from Tchaikovsky is the perfect thing to get you in the Christmas spirit. It follows Prince Siegfried, who falls in love with the stunning Odette, who is a swan by day and a human by night. Can true love break the spell?

The Visit

Thursday 23 December, 9.30pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

From writer-director M Night Shyamalan comes this found-footage comedy horror film that hits the sweet spot of both genres. Becca (Olivia DeJonge) and her younger brother Tyler (Ed Oxenbould) go to stay with their grandparents, who they have never met before. The rules of the house are:

1. Have a great time.
  2. Eat as much as you want.
  3. Don’t ever leave your room after 9.30pm.

They soon find out a bit more about number three…

The Nutcracker

Christmas Eve, 2pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

It wouldn’t be Christmas without at least one Tchaikovsky score, so after tuning in for Swan Lake, sit back and enjoy the enchanting tale of The Nutcracker. It was Toy Story before Toy Story, where young Clara’s toys come to life at midnight. The Nutcracker himself, the Sugar Plum Fairy and the Mouse King await!

The Danish Girl

Christmas Eve, 9.30pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

The Oscar-winning film stars Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander as couple Einar and Gerda, who are landscape and portrait artists. After Einar poses as a female model for one of Gerda’s paintings, it ignites in him the desire to undergo the world’s first gender reassignment operation.

Steve Jobs

Christmas Day 9.30pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

’Tis the season for black turtlenecks, so Steve Jobs is the perfect choice for Christmas Day viewing. Michael Fassbender plays the Apple Inc co-founder with astute attention to detail, not only in Jobs’ professional life, but his personal one as well. Aspects of his personality will surprise you in this illuminating film about the man who revolutionised the tech world.

An American In Paris: The Musical

Boxing Day, 2pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

George and Ira Gershwin’s award-winning musical, about US GI Jerry Mulligan and dancer Lise, comes to the screen in all its show-stopping glory.

The Adjustment Bureau

Boxing Day, 9.30pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

Do you believe in fate? If you do, this is just the film for you. It’s based on Philip K Dick’s short story Adjustment Team from 1954. David (Matt Damon) notices a group of people are actually controlling what seem like chance events in his life, but then something out of the ordinary happens. He meets Elise (Emily Blunt), which wasn’t meant to happen, but now he wants to fight for her to remain in his life. This one’s a real thinker.

Green Zone

Monday 27 December, 9.30pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

If you’re a fan of Matt Damon and the Bourne series, Green Zone will be right up your street. It’s even directed by Paul Greengrass, who directed three of the Bourne films, so you know it’s a winning combo. The story is based on a non-fiction book written by journalist Rajiv Chandrasekaran about life within the Green Zone in Baghdad during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Damon plays US Army Chief Warrant Officer Roy Miller (Matt Damon), who is searching for Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.  

Public Enemies

Tuesday 28 December, 9.30pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

During a wave of crime in 1930s America, real-life gangsters John Dillinger (Johnny Depp), Baby Face Nelson (Stephen Graham) and Pretty Boy Floyd (Channing Tatum) ran the show, but President Hoover (Billy Crudup) is determined to bring them down. It’s also an interesting look at how the FBI emerged, with Christian Bale playing top agent Melvin Purvis.

The Kingdom

Wednesday 29 December, 9.30pm, Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 228/999)

Federal agent Ron Fleury (Jamie Foxx) is given one week to gather a team to infiltrate and destroy a terrorist cell in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The plot is based on the 1996 bombing of the Khobar housing complex, the two 2003 bombings of four compounds in Riyadh and the 2004 Khobar massacre.

13 Comments
sjg16
Tuning in

I have a V6 box but neither channel are working for me, both are greyed out. When I try and view it just gives me the option to subscribe.

Hants206
Tuning in

Not working on my V6 box - saying not authorised

Hants206
Tuning in

Given the hour long chat I just had with online help I am beginning to think the email offering us the channel for free was a ruse to get us to upgrade our package as that was all they kept offering me - interesting that when I suggested this the chat window disappeared!!!!

mhhm
Joining in

I have the same issue. When I go to the channels I am told that it is a subscription channel only. I consider this to be very poor service.

Crypto
Tuning in

No go for me either 😠

Edit, just noticed in the small print it says Prime Time only.  Have to find out when that is somehow.

g8ina
Tuning in

Nor me, poor show VM, poor show...

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just a quick heads up, it looks like the UHD channel is now accessible as per a post by @Mark_T 

"This issue has now been finally resolved. It looks like boxes were updated around midnight Sunday 19th so from Monday should be ok."

TV-360/Virgin-TV-UHD-Channel-no-Extra-Cost/ 

Hants206
Tuning in

Yep!  Mine is working now 😀

Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies, we identified an issue over the weekend and we were looking to put through a fix last night which appears to have come through now.

roblightbody
On our wavelength

This isnt working for me - both channels greyed out.  What should I do?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @roblightbody 

Which box do you have?

If it's the older TIVO then it isn't available, it's only applicable to V6 and 360 boxes.

roblightbody
On our wavelength

Thanks - and yes thats the reason - why didn't they say that in the email!

Is it a rouse to flush out all the users of old Tivo boxes and get them to upgrade them?  Don't they know which one I have??  We've had it for very nearly 6 years.  Originally it was horrifically slow but at some point it got an upgrade which fixed it, and we've never felt the need to upgrade it until now.

I've just called and they're going to upgrade me to the 360 box for a small one-off charge, which I'm ok with.

mhhm
Joining in

The free UHD channel is now working - sort of! In the Nutcracker broadcast this afternoon neither the sound nor picture were stable. A later programme in black and white had a stable picture but the lip sync wasn't working properly. Non HD programmes work perfectly.  I have a V6 box with an HDMI cable supplied by Virgin and am using a 4K Sony Smart TV. I wonder whether the equipment is up to the job or there is a fault on the cable to my house. Based on my experiences I am glad I am not paying for HD.