cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have a BB only contract

caveman38
Dialled in

I have been an Encome, NTL and VM customer for an eternity. Unfortunately when my contract expires in a months time, I am dreading the price rise and potential endless telephone conversations. 

Firstly is the Oomph package with an extra bedroom box that I currently pay £131 a month reasonable. I have an £18 discount and expect a £150 to carry on with VM.

Secondly could I revert to a BB only deal to benefit from the good speed VM provide. Then I can have a SKY streamed package of SkySports and Netflix only. 

The truth is I am getting a little too old to keep up with the latest tech and need some guidance. Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @caveman38 

You won't be able to renew the Ultimate Oomph package as that has been discontinued, however if you decided to take the Ultimate Volt package, or the Biggest TV bundle, or the Biggest TV Volt bundle then the Netflix Standard membership plan would be included as part of your bundle at no additional monthly cost. VM would send you an activation email for the standard Netflix.   Since you already have an existing Netflix account, you can link it to your eligible bundle when you activate Netflix as part of your eligible bundle, which means VMO2 pay that for you. If you don't link it to your existing Netflix account then Netflix will continue to charge you separately..

The following page shows the three packages that include the free netflix

https://www.virginmedia.com/tv/netflix 

You would still continue to be billed by O2 for any other sims that you currently pay them for, and continue to pay them separately.

You would still have the double data on your sim as part of the Ultimate Volt deal, or any other Volt deal you decided to take, plus you would have access to up to three free wifi pods to help with the broadband signal if there are any wifi blackspots in your house.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @caveman38 

I would say you are paying over the odds for your Ultimate Oomph package, and  that's before your current discount ends. You are actually able to renegotiate a new deal now rather than wait for your current discounts to end. 

The Ultimate Oomph package has been discontinued and replaced with the Ultimate Volt package, which is pretty much the same except if you switch to that package then you will be billed separately by O2 for your sim. You would still get unlimited calls, text and data with the sim. It does include the Standard netflix tier (streaming service) as part of the package. It's currently £85 a month for new customers, so you should be looking at getting teh price down to around £110.

You could switch to a broadband only package with VM,  and also get either the Sky Streamed package that you suggested, or look at taking out the VM Stream TV service  VM's is only one box per household and works over the internet.

When you decide to renegotiate/cancel the best method and time to contact them is to call  150 from your Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, but best to call at 8am when lines first open to avoid call queues.

Choose option 4 retentions (thinking of leaving us) They are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract.

You can also text VM on 0753 305 1809 or speak to the team on WhatsApp on 0730 532 7112 but phone calls take priority and these methods can take 4 to 6 hours, probably longer.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the prompt reply and info. I have been with O2 for 30 years too and have already used the Volt double data opportunity (although rarely need it). Can you explain further how I can take advantage of getting Netflix as part of my package. I already pay O2 separately although I have 4 VM sims unused as part of previous deals / contracts till now. Would I now have to incorporate my O2 contracts X2 with VM or still deal with O2 separately. Thanks again.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @caveman38 

You won't be able to renew the Ultimate Oomph package as that has been discontinued, however if you decided to take the Ultimate Volt package, or the Biggest TV bundle, or the Biggest TV Volt bundle then the Netflix Standard membership plan would be included as part of your bundle at no additional monthly cost. VM would send you an activation email for the standard Netflix.   Since you already have an existing Netflix account, you can link it to your eligible bundle when you activate Netflix as part of your eligible bundle, which means VMO2 pay that for you. If you don't link it to your existing Netflix account then Netflix will continue to charge you separately..

The following page shows the three packages that include the free netflix

https://www.virginmedia.com/tv/netflix 

You would still continue to be billed by O2 for any other sims that you currently pay them for, and continue to pay them separately.

You would still have the double data on your sim as part of the Ultimate Volt deal, or any other Volt deal you decided to take, plus you would have access to up to three free wifi pods to help with the broadband signal if there are any wifi blackspots in your house.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Thanks again. I'm sorry if I misled you but, I do not have Netflix - but would like it, but I do have 2 x O2 sims (me and wife) I do have Gigababit BB although I could manage reduced speed. It would be easier not to have to migrate O2 sims and shall have to consider what package would suit best. Because I have an extra STB in bedroom, which package will VM consider my natural choice?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @caveman38 

The extra STB is already included in the pricing on the new Ultimate Volt bundle, just the same as it was on the Ultimate Oomph bundle.  On all other packages if you want a second STB then it's an additional £10 per month on top of the package price.

If you currently have two O2 sims that you are paying O2 for then you wouldn't need to migrate them, you would just continue as you are.

The Ultimate Volt package comes with the Gig1 speed (the same as the Ultimate Oomph package)

Do you use the sim that is included in the  Ultimate Oomph package? 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

No I do not use the SIM's that were sent. I have 4 VM SIMS sent over the last 3 years placed in an envelope unused. I still receive a monthly email with zero balance - but that was a condition of previous packages. I have been with O2 for 30+ years and been happy loathe to change. 

The Ultimate Volt package seems like the one then - but what would they charge me as an existing customer?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @caveman38 

If I were you I would looking to pay around £100 per month or slightly less for the Ultimate Volt package.

As per my first post though you would need to speak to retentions (thinking of leaving us)  That's option 4 when you dial 150 from your VM landline. Tell  you want to cancel as you are going to move to Sky for their Stream package with 2 Stream boxes. 

They are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line and regrade agents.

Before you call them  do your homework first and price up similar deals with other providers. (You can get an idea of the cost of Sky Stream <<< here >>>  and use that as a basis for your negotiating price)

Also determine what you actually need from VM.  You've already said that you don't need the current level of speed, but looking at current pricing it works out cheaper to get the higher speed with the Ultimate Volt package than taking out either the Biggest TV bundle, or the Biggest TV Volt bundle which have a lower speed. 

If you don't watch the sports and movie channels then it may be worthwhile pricing up a package without them included.  If you look at the channel guide <<< here >>>  you will see there are two tiers of normal channels (without the premium movie and sports addons) The first column Mixit is advertised by VM as the Big bundle. The channels shown in the second column Maxit are the ones in the Bigger bundle. 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Thanks again for all the advice. Hopefully I have secured a good deal to stay with VM. I await new Superhub 5 and assuming successful installation will have Netflix too. Fingers crossed. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @caveman38 

Thanks for updating the thread. I'm pleased that you managed to secure a good deal.

Stay safe and take care.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.