cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth switching to Youfibre?

andej
Joining in

I’ve been with Virgin for nearly 8 years and frankly tired of the cancellation dance every 18 months. My contract ends in June and they have started to contact me with deals to renew. I’ve said no a few times but I must have had at least 20 calls from them in the last 2 weeks which seems excessive. I’m currently broadband only paying £31 for 350mb and they are offering the gig1, basic TV, Sim, home phone deal I’ve had before for £42. I have no need for all the extras which I’ve said to them but they say they just have to bundle it for bigger discounts.

The last call from them was very aggressive when I mentioned I could get gigabit from Youfibre for £29 plus pay off the £80ish cancellation fee. I think I will probably get a similar offer when I actually cancel but I think I’m done with Virgin and quite like the idea of full FTTP and gigabit upload speeds with lower latency for gaming.

Shall I just go for Youfibre? I can see they have a lot of great reviews and no price increases for the 2 year contract.

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this historical thread and see if anything rings true...

For contract renegotiation - see Andrew’s comments in message 6 of this thread-

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/New-contract/td-p/4888761

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

unisoft
Knows their stuff

@andej wrote:

I’ve been with Virgin for nearly 8 years and frankly tired of the cancellation dance every 18 months. My contract ends in June and they have started to contact me with deals to renew. I’ve said no a few times but I must have had at least 20 calls from them in the last 2 weeks which seems excessive. I’m currently broadband only paying £31 for 350mb and they are offering the gig1, basic TV, Sim, home phone deal I’ve had before for £42. I have no need for all the extras which I’ve said to them but they say they just have to bundle it for bigger discounts.

The last call from them was very aggressive when I mentioned I could get gigabit from Youfibre for £29 plus pay off the £80ish cancellation fee. I think I will probably get a similar offer when I actually cancel but I think I’m done with Virgin and quite like the idea of full FTTP and gigabit upload speeds with lower latency for gaming.

Shall I just go for Youfibre? I can see they have a lot of great reviews and no price increases for the 2 year contract.

Yes they don't like mention of ALTNETS; that's what finished negotiation off on my renewal so I walked.

YouFibre is superior in every way to VM broadband - its cheaper, its less latency, its symmetric upload and download speeds and based by UK support which gets good feedback. Freely is becoming available now in new TV's albeit limited this year, or there is existing freeview/freesat. On the mobile front, I had an O2 SIM for past few years just because of VOLT upgrade on VM's BB. The service has been dire. Good perks on priority, but slow as hell data. Only around two areas in the South East and East I have been to have had a decent speed. Even 5G areas were 4mbps-8mbps! One of the 5G areas was just over 100mbps though, but just one area so far. I am due to leave them in 2 weeks and I have opted for non contract 1pmobile. It's EE, has Wifi calling, VoLTE (Voice HD), full frequency support and speeds have been brilliant nearly everywhere. I've had 200mbps on 5G and over 100mbps on 4G. You can also buy extra data for use instantly if you need more. They don't do unlimited though. For £10 a month 25GB of data on EE is competitive or £15 for 50gb or 200gb for £20. They don't have an app yet, but once I set all the controls up on web page I don't really miss an app. No issues with one time texts either like some other new MVNOs. They also do pay as you go at 1p per min, 1p per MB, 1p per SMS.

RT123
Up to speed

Agreed - any FTTP service (from the likes of Openreach/CityFibre or AltNets such as YouFibre) is going to be so much better than Virgin. In my case, games are running poorly due to the amount of jitter on VM’s DOCSIS network (in my case, it’s somehow worse on Ethernet than WiFi). Also experiencing faults with my connection that 4 tech visits haven’t resolved.

I do not work for VM, just trying to help!

bodgeup
On our wavelength

Youfibre are one the only isps that offer 8gbps up and down but its a post code lottery