cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have a BB only contract

caveman38
Dialled in

I have been an Encome, NTL and VM customer for an eternity. Unfortunately when my contract expires in a months time, I am dreading the price rise and potential endless telephone conversations. 

Firstly is the Oomph package with an extra bedroom box that I currently pay £131 a month reasonable. I have an £18 discount and expect a £150 to carry on with VM.

Secondly could I revert to a BB only deal to benefit from the good speed VM provide. Then I can have a SKY streamed package of SkySports and Netflix only. 

The truth is I am getting a little too old to keep up with the latest tech and need some guidance. Cheers.

21 REPLIES 21

Sorry to be a nuisance. I have received my Hub5 just now but I am unable to install it tomorrow. Is it OK to install it on Saturday morning. I ask as 1) would there be anyone in tech support if I encounter problems, and 2) I am informed that it is already activated. Does that pose a problem in my existing Hub3 going off air, or can they run concurrently until I switch Hub3 off. 

Also would my Netflix activation code come through over the weekend as I am told that the new Hub installation is the key to it being set.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @caveman38 

If it's already activated then your current hub will probably stop working. You would then need to connect your new hub 5 and it should connect automatically.

The video link below shows how to connect the new hub  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNpCo4SWPEM 

The hub 5 will have a different SSID (WiFi network name) and Wifi password to the one on your old hub 3.

If you leave the new SSID (WiFi network name) and Wifi password on the hub as they are then you will need to change those details on all of your wireless devices to match those on the hub 5.

If you don't want to do that then you can change the SSID (WiFi network name) and Wifi password on the hub 5  to match those from your hub3. (When setting up the hub 5 it will give you the option to change those details)

The netflix activation code will be sent by email. I'm not sure when that will be sent out, it might not be until after the new hub is activated,but there will be instructions with it.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I agree with what you say. But, I received an SMS that said "We've activated the new Virgin Media kit" but my existing BB is still working.

If the message is incorrect, how do I activate it when I swap them over.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @caveman38 

I wouldn't worry about that, it's usaully pre-activated and starts working when you plug it in.  If it doesn't then call 0800 953 9500 to activate the new hub.

Have your account and area number handy, and the new hubs serial number which is printed on a sticker on the base.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks again. BTW, as I said that I wouldn't be able to swap over till Saturday. Would activation team work weekends and any tech support too?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again,

Yes both departments are open over the weekend, but please don't worry, you won't need them. I have faith in you.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

caveman38
Dialled in

Well everything went smoothly as you said Newapollo, thanks again. But now I'm worried about another thing. 

While the thread is still active, I would like it if someone could clarify something for me as maybe I missed something said when agreeing the contract. 

I was told that the contract included £25 for O2, but I have read elsewhere that they will bill me seperately and it wasn't included in the contract. I explained that I already had 2 x O2 contracts already - will I receive another O2 SIM like I did the VM ones (that I never used) and can I just store it away. 

I'm more concerned about being billed by O2 too, although I wouldn't want a SIM lost in post either. Please advise, thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @caveman38 

As I explained in my first post, "The Ultimate Oomph package has been discontinued and replaced with the Ultimate Volt package, which is pretty much the same except if you switch to that package then you will be billed separately by O2 for your sim."

You can change the sim to a lower priced one so I suggest that you contact O2 reduce the cost of the sim.

Going forward you could check your currently active sim (you say you have four) that you have for everyday use and if you are out of contract  and want to keep that number then if it's with a different provider than O2 you could request a PAC code for it and then transfer that number to the new sim included in the Ultimate Volt package. Obtaining and using the PAC code  would cancel that contract so you would just be paying O2 for the Ultimate Volt sim. 

If you already have a sim with O2 and want to transfer that number to the Volt sim then you would need  to log into https://accounts.o2.co.uk/signin 

Once signed in you would need to click on 'More' in the navigation bar at the top of the screen, and then click on "Swap your sim" in the drop down box - see the picture (swap your sim1) below.

You will then receive two text messages from O2 see the picture swap your sim below  to process the change

swap your sim 1swap your sim 1

swap your simswap your sim

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

I meant I have 4 VM SIMS (unused, in a cupboard) from previous packages.

When I accepted this package I was led to believe that the price included an O2 SIM which again I wouldn't use (maybe I misunderstood). Obviously I wouldn't have accepted the deal as it totals a similar amount to previous package.

I have yet to receive the SIM and have not been informed either of what telephone number it will be. I was asked what one of my current O2 numbers was which would be linked to the account. 

VM customer service don't know anything re. whether the SIM has been sent or what number it will be and only refer me to O2 who can't help either without a number. 

Looking at the final contract there is a cross besides the SIM symbol, suggesting not required/sent - or would that refer to a VM SIM. 

If it does arrive and a DD is set up for O2, could I cancel the contract seeing as I already have to O2 contracts already or just attempt to reduce it's cost with O2 and migrate. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @caveman38 

You have a 14 day cooling off period in which you can cancel the new contract and revert back to your old contract. You would then need to renegotaite a new deal again. I would contact Retntions again and ask them to check.

When you agreed to the new deal the agent should have advised you of the total price, and broken down how much is paid to VM, and how much is paid to O2.

You should have received a new contract which you can look at by signing in to /my-virgin-media

The price at the bottom of that contract is the amount you will pay VM for the Ultimate Volt package. There would normally be another contract sent out from O2  for £25 a month which you would pay as well as the VM amount.

When I received my new Ultimate Volt contract there was a cross against the sim. The sim card was sent out in the post by O2 and I received emails from them, one of which said," Look out for your new sim - it's on its way. Your order (number: ms-xxxxxxxx) will be delivered by Royal Mail, First Class post. We're expecting it to arrive tomorrow, but best to allow 2-3 working days. You won't need to sign for this delivery, in most cases, we'll be able to post it  through your letterbox. Your new O2 phone number(s):  07xxxxxxxxx "

You said, "I have yet to receive the SIM and have not been informed either of what telephone number it will be. I was asked what one of my current O2 numbers was which would be linked to the account. "

That to me suggests that you might not receive a new sim because the agent has linked the sim card and number that you gave him to the Ultimate Volt package.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.