Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media deciding to join

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with BT atm but I'm deciding to join Virgin Media 

I've checked online to search if I can get it at my property which I can 

Property is newly built flats 4 years old 

I have looked all over my place and can't find any Virgin Media wall socket plate 

The only thing is a BT phone socket with Broadband.

4 REPLIES 4

unisoft
Well-informed

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm with BT atm but I'm deciding to join Virgin Media 

I've checked online to search if I can get it at my property which I can 

Property is newly built flats 4 years old 

I have looked all over my place and can't find any Virgin Media wall socket plate 

The only thing is a BT phone socket with Broadband.

Some flats have the wiring in apparatus rooms cable ducts serving each flat. There might be a generic SAT connector on wall and it can be switched to SAT as an input or Virgin services (HFC Areas) in the apparatus room. If not, then your flat does not have the required connection and would require personnel to install assuming Virgin say your flat is serviceable.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have a look at the VM new build handbook to get an idea of how VM might wire up flats

https://prod.ctassets.virginmedia.com/uploads/new_build_handbook_v1_64_be936f5e4b.pdf

As advised by @unisoft, the VM connections may terminate in a central equipment room which feeds cables to individual properties. You may have a cable in place which is hidden behind a blanking plate or is pre-wired as part of a general media connection panel.

You could also try asking some of your neighbours if they have VM and how they got it installed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Main phone socket is in the hall & these wall plate in each room

1000008066.jpg

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You might find one of the 'Sat1' or 'Sat2' connections can be reconfigured to become your VM connection. There may be a VM cable behind the blanking plate on the LHS of the faceplate which needs connecting to a VM faceplate module by a VM tech.

If you have a central comm's cupboard in your building (where VM services arrive to the building), a common issue reported on here with getting VM installed is often to do with the VM tech gaining access to that (often locked) comm's cupboard to make the connections. You could maybe make an enquiry with your building management to see if they know anything about that and how VM is distributed in your building.

If VM's postcode checker shows your flat address is serviceable then you could place a VM order, but the usual advice on here (if feasible to do so) is to keep your BT connection running until VM is set up and running to your satisfaction. That way you won't be left without broadband if the VM installation runs into a problem and delay for any reason.