cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message on my v6 box - upgrade to TV 360

Darran71
Tuning in

There's a message on my V6 box saying I can upgrade to a TV 360 box at no extra cost...what's the catch? I've recently renewed my contract ( thanks to a Virgin Rep on here ) 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

3 REPLIES 3

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

No catch, it's completely free and can be managed end to end on your box.

Just open the app and choose the upgrade; in a couple of days you'll get a new remote control and that that point you can convert your existing V6 boxes to 360. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Darran71 wrote:

There's a message on my V6 box saying I can upgrade to a TV 360 box at no extra cost...what's the catch? I've recently renewed my contract ( thanks to a Virgin Rep on here ) 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

Upgrade, no. Migration to a TV platform with totally different functionality, most certainly yes. Look at the pros & cons on the forum here before you hit that button, because once you do there is no way of reversing it if you don’t like the outcome.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tavis75
Super solver

The catch is that the 360 box is not as good as the V6 and is missing a large number of features. The change is because Liberty Global own the 360 software and use it on their boxes in other territories, whereas the V6 software is licensed from TiVo, eventually everyone will be moved over anyway, but I certainly wouldn't do anything to speed up that process!

Some of the missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, default recording options, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.

Also, extra boxes do not have their own hard disks or tuners (unless converted from a V6 box), so you lose storage space and recording ability and are also reliant on the main box being on to watch and set recordings and also on having a decent wi-fi signal (or ethernet cable) between the two boxes when watching recordings.