cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I lose data when there a powercut?

GazCBG
Fibre optic

Hi,

I been using Virgin Mobile for a number of years and when Virgin Mobile was using EE, during a powercut, I never lost data, but since Virgin Mobile, is now using o2, I lose it everytime.

Not only data I lose sometime I lose Voice.

I presume, Virgin Mobile using Virgin Media Internet and when there a power cut it goes down, 4g goes down.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Power outages affect mobile network sites as much as any other electricity user, some have BBU but many don't. If a mobile network site has a power-outage and either there's no BBU or it runs out, then all techs will go off-air - 2G, 3G, 4G the lot.

It may just be that your local EE site was either not affected by the same power outage you had - or had BBU. And the O2 site is affected and/or doesn't have BBU.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To add to the above. Most street based sites only have backup for 2G services. The larger purpose built area based sites are more likely to have backup of 4G. You can usually get very slow (150kb) speed connections from a 2G site.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks