cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin mobile migration to o2

mr1lacoste
Tuning in

Hi I've been a virgin media/mobile customer for years on all services and never missed a bill loads of new mobile bought too, so on 13 July I received an email  saying I'm migrating too o2 1st Aug I received an email saying new sim cards being sent to home address, now here is where the problems start, I went on holiday to Spain for 2 wks on the 30th July on the 5th Aug without no notification at all o2 deactivated my virgin mobile sim, it took me a few hrs to work out what was going on, so now I have no calls, text or data dead in the water 1500km away from home, after hrs of hunting and asking people I manage to find  someone with a o2 phone to ring customer service. After one and half hrs on the phone asking stupid  questions that I couldn't do like check my emails for a code they reassured me that my sim would be reactivated in 24 hrs, surprise still no service on the 7th Aug, bear in mind I can't receive or make calls text or use data on my mobile no banking no google pay dead, I use the same persons mobile very kind of them to ring o2 customer service again, for them to tell me my sim was deactivated cause my new sims we're  sent out but they couldn't answer a simple question as too why when the new o2 sims haven't been activated, now after another 2 hrs of using this kind person's phone the customer services couldn't get my vm sim Working after trying all o2 apn settings my mobile is still dead, so I asked to speak to a manager to try and get this resolved as I'm on holiday for another wk and need my phone service,  was told by o2 customer service that a manger couldn't talk to me and would me in 24hr (lol on what number) and adviced me to go and but a temporary sim card omg, so I've arranged with this kind person to meet up today 8th Aug to spend the day of my holiday with a kind stranger to wait for this call from a customer service manager. I've been told I will be compensated for the new sim ive had to buy. But how is o2 going to compensate me for spoiling my holiday and lost time and a trip I've booked for today 8th aug and I think my phone will not be sort till I get home next Monday 15th Aug (10 days without my phone service) 

I don't know who to blame virgin mobile for not looking after a long time customer or o2 I'm absolutely disgusted with this service, I've had friends and family worried as no contact was possible and social media posts had stopped. Is virginmedia.com  doing anything about this as I'm sure I'm not the only one, upon my arrival back in the UK i will be contacting the   Ombudsman for mobile service provider about compensation for ruining my holiday and no Service on my mobile for 10 days  and to cancel my contract with vm/o2 the worry had stressed me out and on top of all that I've just found out my sons ipad vm sim had been deactivated so 2 sims on my account well done vm/o2

8 REPLIES 8

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey mr1lacoste, thank you for reaching out and I am very sorry to hear this.

With the migrations you would of got a letter / email / SMS explaining the process on how this would happen  I am sorry to hear this didn't happen as smoothly as it should have.

With you now being with O2 th Virgin Mobile account gets shut down right away, when you speak to the O2 they will happily raise a complaint for you. 

However with the instructions in what was sent you everything would of been explained if you was away etc so we are sorry about this. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to say Virgin promised not to migrate people when abroad, but it has become obvious they have ignored that

As Virgin initiates the swap the ball is in their court. 

But I bet they blame O2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It's the same company - and Capita, who run the Indian Call Centre you will deal with, staff them both.

My Virgin (Android) phone missed the automatic upgrade to O2, and a week later, a SIM card turned up, which I couldn't use, as my Virgin service hadn't ceased.

As I was going abroad briefly, I asked for the transfer to be delayed - "No problem, sir" and a date was agreed. Soon after, my phone stopped working. After layers and layers of Capita staff, a call centre worker tells me I was "already transferred", and "of course" my phone will have stopped working. He didn't believe I had been told a date could be customised for transfer, but reading the notes, this is precisely what I was offered.

"This is not possible, sir, all transfers are done in bulk"

After about 30 minutes of toing and froing, he offers to "reactivate your Virgin SIM card" - something I was hugely sceptical about. And the phone has spent the evening stating "Refreshing SIM data", which makes it look like SOMEONE is trying to do something. But the Virgin SIM card is dead.

I am allegedly being phoned tomorrow at noon (by someone from Capita pretending to work for O2) to "resolve the issue". What do you think the Capita staff member is going to say? I'm taking bets that he doesn't call at all, although, I do now have his email address. I was allegedly going to get a call back by today from the "Transition Team" - which I don't believe exists (the bloke I spoke to was from "O2 Customer Retentions"!) promised on Saturday. I wonder if the name is just made up and that of his manager as well. Some of the stuff I've missed out (the above is a VERY condensed version) included being told I was an O2 customer now and I "needed to be put through to O2 Customer Services, as Virgin couldn't help me", and being put through (after the obligatory 20 minute wait) to....Virgin Customer Services. No, they couldn't explain this either. Oh, and the member of staff I spent an hour and 15 minutes trying to add O2 to my phone manually - according to the phone log, I never spoke to him.

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

'As Virgin initiates the swap the ball is in their court. But I bet they blame O2'

Buck passing at it's very best Enlli, as we well know, something Virgin Media excel at.

They've been doing it for YEARS, so have massive experience..

Moooden
Tuning in

For what's it worth. I'm having the exact same experience. O2 deactivated my SIM without telling me. Then said they would reactivate it but nothing. I too was a loyal Virgin Customer. I too am screwed abroad now thanks to O2. Customer services are a joke. When I told them I never ordered a new SIM and so why did they send me one and deactivate the old one they said they will refer me to their fraud squad if I never ordered it. O2 are the fraudster for charging me for a service then deactivating my phone. Once I get through this hell of no phone I'm leaving O2. Although it's quite hard to change provider without a phone. As you say Virgin don't care either . Although  actually quite hard to change provider without a phone! A bit of a rant here but quite cathartic all the same. 

Hey @Moooden,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry that this has happened to you and caused an issue with your mobile, as you have been transferred over to O2 now there is nothing we can do from our side, if you do reach out to O2 they would be happy to assist you with your query.

Joe 

Joseph,  thanks for the 'help'. Basically none. Separately someone called Lee_R (Forum Team) contacted me privately and asked for more details. I stupidly provided them. Is this now moving into some kind of fraud issue or is Lee_R genuine. Either way I still dont have a mobile phone that works. O2 offered me a whopping £10 compensation for not having a phone for the last 3 days whilst abroad. Even better its loaded onto my account which I cant access or use. How helpful is that - Im so happy. Who wouldn't swap a functional phone for £10. How generous. Its made all the difference.

Actually just because O2 deactivated my phone I don't want to start leaving trails on the internet. Even if desperate for some kind of help. Joseph_B is you are a genuine moderator please delete all my comments. Virgin sold me to O2. Its nothing to do with Virgin now. Please delete everything I have said about this situation and delete my account too.