cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access Virgin Mobile account details

br1anstorm
Dialled in

I have a Virgin Mobile phone and account, set up over 20 years ago and still in use.  The subscription is paid by monthly Direct Debit.  But I cannot access the account details online.  There appear to be two problems....

When I first signed up and registered on the Virgin Mobile website, I did so with my - then - "...[at]virgin.net" email address.  However, in December 2022 that email address was closed down by Virgin Media with no warning, apparently on the grounds that as I did not subscribe to other Virgin products (cable, internet or TV) it was a "legacy" account and no longer supported.

That meant that I could not sign in to the Virgin Media website to see my mobile account details, as the sign-in was based on an email address which had ceased to exist.  I could still sign in to the Virgin Community (as i have done today) because that requires a username and password, not an email address.

Back then (Dec 2022) when i raised this in the forum, a community staff member (Gareth L) arranged - after a series of PMs - to re-set my Virgin Media website login using my new (gmail) address and a new password.  I have not however needed to log in or look at my mobile account details very often since then.  And now I find that the login which was setup in Dec 2022 no longer works.

Of course since 2022 Virgin Mobile has merged with or been taken over by O2.  The direct debits for my mobile account are still being taken, now payable to O2.  But I still regard that number as being for a Virgin Mobile account.  I have not set up or re-registered this account and number on the O2 website, so cannot access my account details via that route.

I now have a billing query, and may well need to amend the DD/payment authorisation.  But I face the problem of not being able to access the details of that account online.  The login to the Virgin Media site seems not to work, and I am not registered on the O2 site.  How can I now do so?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello again br1anstorm.

Is Gareth_L here. This is a blast from the past.

Hope you are keeping well, barring the above issues accessing your mobile account.

Just so I get the gist of what help is needed and from what You have described.

Any Virgin Mobile accounts are now with O2 online accounts.

This also applied for billing, package changes, basically every you could d before On the Virgin Mobile account can be done online with O2.

As you have mentioned you are not yet registered on the O2 site, Can you please try via the link here 

Please let me know how you get on.

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello again br1anstorm.

Is Gareth_L here. This is a blast from the past.

Hope you are keeping well, barring the above issues accessing your mobile account.

Just so I get the gist of what help is needed and from what You have described.

Any Virgin Mobile accounts are now with O2 online accounts.

This also applied for billing, package changes, basically every you could d before On the Virgin Mobile account can be done online with O2.

As you have mentioned you are not yet registered on the O2 site, Can you please try via the link here 

Please let me know how you get on.

Gareth_L

br1anstorm
Dialled in

Hello Gareth L.... as you say, a blast from the past, and many thanks for stepping in (again!).  I think I understand broadly how the shift to O2 has been organised, but it looks as if I still can't get access to  the account info I need.

My previous email and the PMs we exchanged in 2022 gave the detailed background.  In a nutshell, this particular phone and account was the first-ever mobile we had and the account has been running for over 20 years.  The phone and number are still in use:  although originally registered in my name, it has for many years been used by my wife.  It is on an open-ended Pay Monthly contract. It is on an old non-smartphone Nokia handset which my wife still finds very convenient but which has only voice and text facility, no Android apps, no wifi, and is no use for going online.  I won't post up the actual number, but for clarity and simplicity I'll continue to refer to it as our Virgin mobile.

However.... it is not the only mobile phone or account we have.  I have another - now my main and only - phone with another network on a PAYG tariff.  And my wife has a second phone - I'll call it her smartphone - which is with the O2 network, also on a PAYG tariff.

This is where it gets complicated. For a year or two (2021-22?) , my main and only phone was on O2 on a "Classic PAYG" deal, and I registered directly with MyO2 online then in order to manage that account.  The Classic PAYG arrangement was then scrapped, and the number I was using on O2 lapsed.  I now have a different number on a different network.  So while I can still log in successfully to the MyO2 website using the details I provided when I signed up directly with that O2 Classic deal, (and that is where the link you provided takes me) it now says I have no active account or number there.  That at least is clear and accurate.

Now.... although the various websites and guidance I have seen says that if you had a Virgin mobile account and number it was automatically transferred and registered (with the same login and password?) over to the O2 website, as far as I can discover this did not happen with my/our "original" Virgin mobile number and account.  This is the account I am now trying to access but can't.  This is the account which was the subject of our exchange of emails in Dec 2022 (before the shift to O2).

I did login to the MyO2 website as per your link (and I can only do so using the login info from when I had the O2 Classic PAYG account) to be told, of course, there is now no active account.  I did then try the option offered to add a new device [or number], and put in the original Virgin Mobile number.  And guess what.... up came the message that "this number/device is already registered with O2".  But it doesn't indicate where, nor how I can access that account's details.

Just for completeness, I should add that my wife has separately registered her O2 smartphone with the MyO2 website, using her own current email address and password choice.  We have logged in there.  It has the details of her smartphone PAYG balance etc, but that's all.  And there is no option offered by the site when logged into her account to add another device/number.

So we seem to be stymied.  Although O2, having inherited or taken over managing what was our original Virgin Mobile number and account, continues to collect the monthly Direct Debit, we cannot see how to access the account details online since neither O2 nor Virgin Media seems to offer any route for us to do so.

I can PM you the actual phone number of what was/is the original Virgin mobile if that helps.  We have tried phoning the O2 customer service line to get advice, but we found their phone support utterly impenetrable.  So this request via the Virgin community forum is about the only other avenue we could think of trying.  Hope you can help to untangle this for us....

The bottom line is - we need to know where, and how, to get access online now to what was our Virgin, and is now an O2, original mobile Pay Monthly account.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

At the moment You can only have one phone per email address on My O2.

You need a different email address to you old O2 phone and also your wife's to register your phone

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the detailed response on this matter br1anstorm,

We can certainly appreciate the frusration regarding this matter.

As @enlli has advised have you been able to register a new account at all for any of the numbers?
Regards,

Kain

Hello @enlli and thanks for that information.   I may give your suggestion a try (register from scratch using different email address).  But your post leaves some questions unanswered:

• if MyO2 only allows one phone per email address, why does the website not say so on its front page (or somewhere equally obvious)?
  • if MyO2 only allows one phone per email address, why does my own MyO2 - when I am logged in to the account I have set up and am able to access - include an option button inviting me to register an additional device on the [same] account?
  • when I attempted to to take up that option and register my original Virgin Mobile phone I got a message saying it was already registered;  so how can I establish which email was used to register it?  The only two possible email addresses were my original (and long since closed-down) virgin.net email, and the gmail address I used with Gareth L's help on this forum in Dec 2022 to amend the registration of the phone on Virgin Media.  Neither is recognised by MyO2.

Hello Kain,

I'm not sure you have quite understood what I want to do. 

1) I have a registered and functioning MyO2 account set up when my main and only phone was using an O2 Classic PAYG account.  This PAYG deal been withdrawn and the number is no longer in use.  So when I log in to the MyO2 website it tells me, correctly, that I have no active account .  I do not need to register or re-register my own main phone as i now use a different provider.

2) my wife has a properly registered and accessible MyO2 account for her smartphone which is on the O2 PAYG tariff.  So no need for any new or different registration there.

3) we have an old Virgin Mobile non-smart phone.  The number was originally registered with Virgin in my name, but my wife now uses that phone and number.  it is still in regular use.  It is on an open-ended Pay Monthly tariff - the Direct Debit is now paid to O2.  We need to check, and probably amend, the account details and payment arrangements.  But - as explained above - the account is no longer registered or accessible via Virgin Mobile.  In theory it has been "transferred" and registered with O2.  And (see posts above) O2 tells me that it is indeed registered with them.  The website claims that all Pay Monthly accounts formerly with Virgin have been automatically registered with MyO2.  But I have no way of knowing what email or what password now enables access to that number's account:  the login details which previously enabled access when it was Virgin Media are not recognised  by O2.  And there is no point in putting in an old virgin.net email address which is no longer in existence.

Yet as O2 says it is already registered, and continues to provide the service and collect the money, I can hardly register that same number and phone again as a "new" number with a "new" account and using a new or different email and password.

I need to know how to access the account which O2 claims is already in existence for that former Virgin Mobile phone so that I can check and amend the billing/payment details.

Good morning @br1anstorm 

Thanks for coming back to us.

If it's not in the same 'account', you can have several, then it would be a new email you'd need to use when registering the O2 online account.

However, as you've already said it's already registered, I personally would not yet go to the trouble of organising a new email address.

Please contact O2 directly - https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus 

Explain you've migrated from Virgin Mobile but you cannot log in to the O2 website, they'll assist you with this.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks @John_GS.  I shan't say that looks like passing the buck:  you are right to say that this is now essentially a matter for O2 to resolve.

I have tried.... and will now try again ... to contact O2.  But regrettably it is proving very challenging.  Their telephone customer support is impenetrable and unreachable.  Their website Help & Support offers only generic FAQs (all irrelevant), and a virtual assistant 'bot' (utterly useless).  There is no online 'contact us' form on the website, nor an email address for customer support.  There is an option to send a letter by post (yay!) to a PO Box in Winchester.  Is that really prompt, accessible and effective customer service?

As a desperate step, I have turned to the O2 Community Forum and now await responses from there.  But I know that community members cannot access account details.  So somehow, I still need to communicate with O2 account management directly to find out how to access and login to the account which has been migrated to them from Virgin Mobile.

I can assure you it's not as it's the O2 account you're trying to access so we have no access to their systems.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill