cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems logging in to iPlayer and YouTube etc

LadyoftheManor
Tuning in

I recently had a new Virgin box installed to replace a faulty one.  However, I don't now seem to be able to log into iPlayer or YouTube.  I just get a security message telling me my Virgin connection is not recognised.  Has anyone else had this, and how can I get rid of it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Has your TiVo been replaced with a V6? That's standard practice now with faulty TiVo's, and there are different connectivity requirements - check at https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box if you're not sure.

Alongside checking that, can you use OnDemand services from C5 & Sky? Those don't use apps, but do use the same internet connection - so would be a good test.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Has your TiVo been replaced with a V6? That's standard practice now with faulty TiVo's, and there are different connectivity requirements - check at https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box if you're not sure.

Alongside checking that, can you use OnDemand services from C5 & Sky? Those don't use apps, but do use the same internet connection - so would be a good test.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi there - and thank you for responding to my query.  My Tivo box was only changed over yesterday as there was a fault with the channel listings.  I gathered from the technician that the box was just being up-graded, but assumed it was the same sort of Tivo box.  I just tried to see if I can watch Ch5 on demand, and it seems I can.  I am not subscribed to Sky channels so couldn't test that.  So far it is just BBC iPlayer and YouTube that I have nocticed a problem with.  I was hoping that this problem would right itself once I have had the new box for a few days, but time will tell.  In the meantime I will see if I can still get access to the two problem channels via my laptop, just as a back-up. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So do you have a TiVo or a V6? I linked to a page with pictures.

Both run TiVo software but are very different hardware. Some advice depends on knowing which you have.

LadyoftheManor
Tuning in

I have a Virgin TV V6 box by the looks of your link.  I just checked it again and tried to access BBC iPlayer, but I am still getting the same message saying that my Virgin connection is not recognised. Looks like I might have to contact the technician again.  He did say I might have to log back into iPlayer etc, but there doesn't seem to be an option to do this that I can see. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thanks for confirming a V6, I suspected as much but wanted to be sure. Before you go nuclear & contact VM, let's try a methodical approach.

Can you post a picture of the error message, onto this forum thread by means of reply?

I have just had a replacement V6 box fitted today to replace a faulty one. The Virgin technician informed me that there is a problem with all new V6 boxes - they don't work with iPlayer nor most other apps - they get a security error. Netflix does work. Also I am finding that I cannot access help & settings either, so cannot programme my remote to turn TV on and off. So seem like I have live TV and can record it ok, but not much else. Virgin are meant to be working on the issue.

Hi - I have just taken a picture of the Security Error that appears on my TV screen when I try to access On Demand or Catch-up for iPlayer etc.

Security Message 2.jpg

LadyoftheManor
Tuning in

Looks like you have the same problem as I have, and we might just have to wait until Virgin can sort it out from their end.

You have the same error msg that many of us our getting, via different routes - so it could be using the Red Button on BBC1 , trying to start some of the channels in the 220s , trying to use ANY of the Apps in the Apps & Games area, trying to access Red Button on Sky Sports 501 ( I hope sky realise how their service is being treated!), or Red Buttons on 528 TNTSports 2  , or… basically about half my offering is stuffed.

I spent hours on phone to VM help line (who have problems with English), to be told a technician must visit (- and I know this is a VM server problem) . He visited, I showed him, gave him a long list of things I can’t do now, and he left after 5 minutes.

I am also out of contract, so I may be out of VM v shortly…