cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing cables on my property

Laurasr88
Joining in

Hello, 

There are cables running through my garden which need removing, they are not in relation to my internet connection and I can't guarantee they won't get damaged and as you can see they are in the way.  They were there when we moved in and I have no idea which houses they are for. What can I do to get them gone? 

1000026663.jpg

15 REPLIES 15

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That seems a reasonable approach. If VM have permission for the cable to be there, let them show it.

Give the 14 days to produce their proof, or the cable goes. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Photo #1 in post #1 shows a split in the green conduit. Using that to see inside the conduit, how many cables are inside?

Hard to scale from the photo but the size of the conduit looks no different than that used for a single property (possibly your property in the past or maybe a next door neighbour).

Hi @Laurasr88,

Please respond to the private message that I'll be sending to you shortly and we'll be able to assist further from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

spell
Knows their stuff

And if by some infinite chance VM does produce a wayleave agreement from a previous owner notify them that you withdraw it - previous posts have claimed it is valid forever - unless the fee agreed is too good for you to refuse.

It might be courteous once you have removed the cable to ask VM if they would like to collect it before disposal.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If this only connects to your own house I doubt VM would bother. But if it connects another customer you could be in trouble. 

https://lawhive.co.uk/property/wayleave-agreement/

"Wayleave agreements are temporary arrangements that do include termination clauses, although both electricity and telecoms companies have legal powers to retain their equipment."

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Laurasr88
Joining in

Thanks everyone!  I suspect when some houses were built near my property, years ago, that we have the cables for most of them , there are like 2 sets of cables about 8 feet apart so suspect they run to different houses.  My internet is on the front of my house so definitely not for mine. I will update the chat if I get resolution. I don't want to just remove them given people work from home and I would struggle myself if my internet disappeared but I also need to do the work I am doing to renovate my garden. Hopefully it will get sorted one way or another!