cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation Question (Please only straight answers / knowledgeable)

frankee1
On our wavelength

Hai

I have an Engineer coming around to fix my new Virgin Media services and get them up and running woohoo!!

But, I want my Virgin Media internet Hub in my bedroom at the back of the home, up three floors.

It's a terraced home, so it's hard to access the back.

If the worse comes to the worse (Engineer can't access the back and install a wall socket), could the Virgin Media Engineer just connect a cable from the living room Virgin Media wall-socket, and will they be able to use a really long extended cable and run it through my home & up the stairs??

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your issue will be installing at third floor level via outside and getting the cable from the front to the back of the house.

From many past topics on here it seems VM tech's will install on ladders outside to first floor level but not above; will not go into lofts; will not lift floorboards; will not go onto roofs (inc. flat roofs); cables will normally be clipped/surface mounted.

In answer to your question, the tech may be able to get a cable from front to back but, most likely, it would be an internal route and the cable will very likely be on show inside your home along its route, clipped to internal surfaces.

You will also have to factor in that some of the work is sub-contracted (that might help or hinder your requirement depending on what rules the sub-contractor follows) and also the fact the often the tech's are on a timed visit so a big installation job may not be possible in the time allocated when the tech visits.

It also seems much depends on the individual tech who turns up based on the descriptions on here. Some topics describe a very helpful and knowledgeable tech who wants to do the best job they can. Other topics describe a tech who has minimal skills and interest and wants to get away as quick as they can. That kind of tech may simply tell you it can't be done.

Those are some of the possible outcomes you might encounter.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Client62
Legend

It might be worth considering where it is practical for the engineer to install the Hub in the house based on where the cables arrive at the property and where mains sockets are located ( 1 maybe 2 ).

And then consider how you can run a network cable inside the house to your bedroom, where you could have a switch + wireless access point or for a neater 1 box solution a Wi-Fi Router to serve your kit.

frankee1
On our wavelength

I would like it in my bedroom.

May you answer my specific statement which is "will they be able to use a really long extended cable and run it through my home & up the stairs??"

Thank you, it's just that I would like them to do that. Instead of me because I do not really know. Besides if they can, I am willing to pay up to 150 GBP.

Client62
Legend

Call the VM Pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 and ask if what you are proposing can be accommodated.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your issue will be installing at third floor level via outside and getting the cable from the front to the back of the house.

From many past topics on here it seems VM tech's will install on ladders outside to first floor level but not above; will not go into lofts; will not lift floorboards; will not go onto roofs (inc. flat roofs); cables will normally be clipped/surface mounted.

In answer to your question, the tech may be able to get a cable from front to back but, most likely, it would be an internal route and the cable will very likely be on show inside your home along its route, clipped to internal surfaces.

You will also have to factor in that some of the work is sub-contracted (that might help or hinder your requirement depending on what rules the sub-contractor follows) and also the fact the often the tech's are on a timed visit so a big installation job may not be possible in the time allocated when the tech visits.

It also seems much depends on the individual tech who turns up based on the descriptions on here. Some topics describe a very helpful and knowledgeable tech who wants to do the best job they can. Other topics describe a tech who has minimal skills and interest and wants to get away as quick as they can. That kind of tech may simply tell you it can't be done.

Those are some of the possible outcomes you might encounter.