cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Installation Across Private Driveway

Vinny_UK
Tuning in

I've seen a couple of similar posts on the forum but as they revert to PM commu with VM staff the end result isn't always known. My issue..

I live at no.7, at the end of a small cul-de-sac road with 10 houses. Both neighbours at 6 & 8 are Virgin Broadband capable (based on VMs website checker) but my house is not. Some houses on my street have Virgin service(s) already. The VM floorbox is at the end of the road approx. 30 yards away from my house. To get to mine you have to cross a private driveway which services me & my neighbour at number 6. I moved into this house 5 months ago & have been trying to get VM out to see what it would take to get a fibre/broadband line in - way leave is not an issue - signatures from both myself & neighbour can be acquired to do what's necessary across the private drive.

Trying to get someone out to even view it however has been nigh impossible, any & all enquiries to date end in a blank "no cant be done" / "area not serviced" etc., i assume just going on the data they have on their computer, despite me saying the VM floorbox is literally 30 yards away (i can see if from my front door) & my immediate neighbour @ number 6 can have it (according to your web site) so why cant i at number 7? Alas, I get no further despite previous promises of call backs (doesn't happen), & assurances someone will come out to view (they didn't). 

I left it at the end of December as i was getting literally no where, but seeing some positive posts on the forum has inspired me to try once again. Can anyone from VM assist please? both myself & my wife work for the NHS but predominantly from home, & all i can get presently is copper from other providers (i'm currently with Sky as needed to get something in). I would be looking to get the Gigabit BB if possible, we have previously been with VM for years as both a residential & business customer before moving house in September 2022 to my current home.

Vinny_UK_0-1677092261440.pngVinny_UK_1-1677092299078.png

13 REPLIES 13

keenpaul
Joining in

Dear VM, we have a similar issue in our Close. VM fibre is in the main road. Who do we approach to get our 7 houses in our Close fibre? We would make a contribution to costs. Thanks Paul Keen

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'd probably do better to start your own thread on this.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@keenpaul wrote:

Dear VM, we have a similar issue in our Close. VM fibre is in the main road. Who do we approach to get our 7 houses in our Close fibre? We would make a contribution to costs. Thanks Paul Keen

If you are on a Private road you have no chance for a start. Infill is very expensive, & if you are on the 95% of Virgin’s network that uses legacy HFC infrastructure you have no chance anyway, as there was no spare capacity built in to that type of infrastructure by the companies that originally built the network.

VM have no Universal Service Obligation, so do not have to service every household. They also do not enter into private financing.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Martyn
Up to speed

any update @Vinny_UK

if tthere is issues because of private road, I assume you own it? dig it up stick some trunking in it, and get it tarmac'd over again, 😛

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)