cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin router losses signal every midnight

Blaster2018
Tuning in

Hi guys

We are beyond frustration. Out router will lose connection (to wired and wireless) every midnight. It will eventually comes back it takes 5-10 minutes to get online. 

As a new renewal we are trying to get it sorted under 14 days of cool of period. So we can cancel the contract if virgin can’t resolve the issue

21 REPLIES 21

not in our case. this problem we had since new contract every single day. it is unbearable

I've had a log report every day at 2am for the last 5 weekdays that we've lost the WAN connection. Lasts about 5 minutes each time. It seems to be some kind of hub update. 

Hi Blaster2018, 

Thanks once again for your private message. We only use the PM function when we are needing to relay account information or ask for personal sensitive information. All standard replies will be through the Community 😊

Please have a look at my reply above and reply here so we can help further. 

Many thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Andy_FNotts
Joining in

HI, i had the same issue as you and its finally been resolved.

If your's has started since you changed package it sounds like you have the same issue i had. In short its probably a damaged cable.

Copy/pasted the below i typed for my thread about midnight resets

"Finally managed to arrange an engineer appointment at a suitable time and it turns out my cable buried at the front of my home had basically been chopped through by a previous tenant and the only thing keeping it together was the outer cable coating as the inner core of the cable had been chopped clean through. The cable was cut in half and the only reason i had any signal was the 2 ends of the cable were basically touching tips and providing some connection. The Engineer, Steve, found it fairly quickly and dealt with the issue.

From speaking with the engineer and telling him when i was on HUB2 it was fine and when i went to HUB3 i started getting the disconnects, he said that for every speed upgrade different frequencies are used to for each speed. He said given how bad the cable at my property was it was probably good enough for 250mb HUB2 speeds but when i moved to 350mb HUB3, the connection, due to the damaged cable, was so poor it was unable to maintain the connection.

Since the visit over 2 weeks ago, all the line noise and the midnight reboots have stopped. It was all due to a severly damaged cable at the front of the property that by my estimation has been like it for 9 years+ but only came to light when the service i paid for changed and the frequency on the line changed."

Our neighbour had their cable tacked along the outside wall by the installation engineer. Every year for three years at roughly the same time of year and roughly the same time of day they would lose connection. Eventually they figured out it was the sun warming the cable up and changing its electrical properties. They put a metal cap over it of the kind they use for embedded wiring, painted it white along with the rest of the wall and they haven't had a problem since. 

apparently customer have carry out all the Virgins infrastructure maintenance and pay them for the broadband 🤣

Hi Andy

not sure if this is the case with us. might similar issue. as this was the case in 2018 and we had to cancel after 18 month of suffer and no engeneer visit from virgin. 

we have signed a another contract after couple of years and we had similar issue started and we managed to get an engeneer and they replaced the short cable from wall outlet. and it did the trick BUT we still had drops at night. 

Now after new contract we have disconnection everyday at least 3-5 times 

Hi Blaster2018,

I am very sorry this is still ongoing. 

I've gone ahead and booked an engineer visit for you, to view or change the appointment time, you can manage your booking here.

I also just need to make you aware, there may be a £25 charge for the appointment if:

The customer is not present for the technician visit (aka a missed appointment).
   The fault is due to customer's own equipment.
  The fault is due to damage caused by someone at the customer's premises which we were not aware of.
  The fault is due to theft, loss, or removal of equipment.

Let us know if you need anything else and how the visit goes.

Thanks!

Beth

Thank you Beth

it was booked for today 4pm-7pm, but still waiting for the engeneer.

Hi Blaster2018,

Sorry for the late reply, we can see that this was missed. Please advise if you still need help with this.

Alex_Rm