cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering a WiFi pod

Empato
Tuning in

Swapped to Virgin Media on 1st March, coming from BT full fibre. Opted for 1 meg broadband thinking I’d benefit from the best available router. The router was installed in exactly the same position as the BT router, yet signals upstairs are very poor in comparison with frequent dips and dropouts. Demented with complaints from my family about it. 
I thought I had nothing better to do but run tests on the VM Connect app and even though it recommends a pod, I can find no way of ordering one. Tried via chat and after an age, managed to get to chat with a person, who said they would organise a pod. Nothing showing on account as being ordered and no pod has arrived. 
Beginning to think I’ve made a mistake in switching. 
What do you have to do to get a pod?

12 REPLIES 12

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The official route is to use the Connect app.  Scan the property and the app should allow you to order one Pod initially.  If this is not working, then wait here a couple of days for a VM Mod to pick this up and discuss with you directly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks. The connect app has registered the need for a pod, but won’t let me order one. It seems to go in a loop, with no way to actually place an order. If I remember correctly it asks me to login then goes back to the homepage. 

Empato
Tuning in

Just tried to get through to VM on the phone to order a pod again, and again, just got a text with a link to the chat bot and a lot of nonsense about resetting the hub to factory settings, etc. 

it shouldn’t be this difficult to order a pod that I should be entitled to under the terms of the contract. 

Client62
Legend

If VM Pods are free that tell you all you need to known about their flexibility and quality,
if they are £8 per VM Pod per month ... run a county mile.

Seriously, invest in a decent Wi-Fi Mesh or even better Wireless Access Points.
Your Wi-Fi network should be under your control and VM Pods are the polar opposite of that.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Best to wait for the Forum Mods to respond.  They should hopefully be able to sort you out.

I think the Connect app usage is to stop users from just ordering pods when they are not really necessary.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Couldn't agree more.  However most will want the "free" Pods despite the drawbacks.   😉

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Client62 wrote:

If VM Pods are free that tell you all you need to known about their flexibility and quality,
if they are £8 per VM Pod per month ... run a county mile.

Seriously, invest in a decent Wi-Fi Mesh or even better Wireless Access Points.
Your Wi-Fi network should be under your control and VM Pods are the polar opposite of that.

On WiFi Max non Volt and non Gig1/Gig2 customers pay an additional £8 per month in total for the pods and not £8 per pod.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @Empato 👋,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry for the issues ordering a Pod.

I'm going to pop you a PM 📩 now to help further.

Hope to hear from you soon! 😊

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I had considered buying a mesh network but to be honest I don’t feel I should have to. I went for 1gig thinking I’d get decent speeds throughout the house and the best router VM could offer me, backed by the promise of up to 3 pods should I require them. I haven’t managed to get 1 so far. Wi-Fi is non existent in my daughters room. 
Buying a decent mesh system seems to be a minefield too, unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount of money.