cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move router location using TV outlet

Bisssh
Joining in

Previous owners of the house installed VM TV sockets in a location where I would love to have the router.

So instead of plugging the router into where VM first enters the house can I use another location that has VM coax installed.

Basically I don't know if it is a different type of cable that carries VM TV signal Vs broadband.

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s well worth the £25 fee to have a VM tech move your kit. They will also make sure everything is working and the power levels etc are in spec.  If you wait here a couple of days a VM Mod should pick this up and discuss with you. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

It's exactly the same type of cable for broadband and TV, so just try the other socket. If it doesn't work it will cost you £25 as advised to fix this.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good advice from Adduxi, but it should work normally on any wall point - move all of the Hubs cabling and connectors and just plug it in and see if it sorts your issue.  You can simply move it back if it doesnt and then get the Tech out to do the swap.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.