cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3. WiFi keeps auto re-enabling every 10 mins

cd67232382
On our wavelength

I have a TP-Link Deco mesh WiFi system at home so I have disabled the WiFi on my Hub3, however recently I noticed I kept getting performance issues on my mesh network.  

I logged back into my hub3 to find the WiFi had been switched back on, which I assumed must have happened since the email that came out saying Virgin had improved WiFi.  I disabled the WiFi again and went about my business, only to find sometime later I was getting issues.   I logged back into the Hub3 and WiFi was back on. 

As a test I disabled WiFi but left the page open in my browser and periodically refreshed the page, and it seems it takes about 10 minutes before it ends up enabled again. 

Does anyone have any ideas or has seen this before?    I can't say when it started but I'm pretty sure this has only started up since I got the email about the router update for improved WiFi

110 REPLIES 110

Hi @ynotchat,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear you had this problem. However, from what I understand in your latest post, you've now been able to address and resolve this. Is that correct?

If you need any further assistance, please do let us know.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I also have this issue. I would like to retain the other Ethernet ports but every time I switch off the wireless signal it is re-enabled shortly afterwards. 

I have toggled to Opt out of Virgin Media WiFi in my profile. 

Does anyone know what can be done?

Thanks 

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @cirspsi

Thank you for your post, sorry to hear that you are also experiencing an issue with WiFi connections being re-enabled.

Have you tried following the steps here to turn it off?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-turn-off-wireless

Please do let me know how you get on,

Best wishes,

Serena

Yes, I have followed those instructions multiple times. Just repeated, confirmed it was switched off and sure enough it re-enabled after 15 minutes. 

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for letting me know @cirspsi

Can you please try performing a Pin Hole reset on your Hub for me, this will restore the Hub to factory settings but it may prevent the Hub from re-enabling the WiFi.

To perform the Pin Hole reset, please follow these exact instructions:

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.
With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.
Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.
DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Please do let me know how you get on after this, thanks.

Serena

Reset performed, WiFi disabled but unfortunately it is still re-enabling. 

@cirspsi wrote:

Reset performed, WiFi disabled but unfortunately it is still re-enabling. 

It's a bug - Use your own router and put the hub in modem mode!

You'll be much saner!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @cirspsi,

Sorry to hear this hasn't improved following the pin-hole reset. 

I've tried running checks on your equipment from our end but currently there is an outage in your area that is affecting things. The details on this are:

Fault ref. F008150408   
Estimated Fix Date: 06th JULY 2021 13:00

Whilst it's not guaranteed this is causing the issues you're having with the WiFi, it makes it difficult to diagnose other issues that might be at play currently.

Please let us know following this how you are getting on and we'd be happy to assist further.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi @Molly_G,

I tried this again today and after disabling my Wi-Fi signals the device re-enabled them shortly after. 

Thanks 

Hi  cirspsi,

Thank you for coming back to me, have you tried putting our router in Modem mode rather than just turning WIFI off?

Regards

Paul.