cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 day or 30 days cancellation notice period - my experience

Stroye1
Tuning in

I decided to leave Virgin Media (broadband and phone) by sending a recorded signed for, letter giving 30 days notice starting 28 December 2023.

I have recently received a letter dated 31 December 2023, from Virgin titled "Important information about your disconnection request"
It went on to say: "Your services will disconnect on 29 December 2023". A one day notice period? My service has not been disconnected yet, so I guess this is a mistake. The letter speaks in general terms only and doesn't supply any detailed information on what happens next, but goes on to say: "if you need more information about what happens next, or change your mind, please give us a call on 150 from your Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone". Note: There are no other ways to communicate given in the letter.

I was reluctant to cancel my services by phone in the first place because of all the time consuming hurdles put in place - long periods on hold, and being transferred from one department to another, hopefully before being cut off midway, this appears to be the experience of others wishing to leave. That's why I chose to cancel by sending a letter. However, I thought as the date I was given in the reply from Virgin was obviously wrong, and I wanted some information regarding my final bill to make sure of no further mistakes   (unwarranted) charges bearing in mind my last contracted period end date was 2 December 2023, I thought I would try phoning. (Incidentally, 'Billing' in the Virgin Media app doesn't give any details.)

My phone contact experience

Now I'm not saying this is typical, but this is what happened to me:
First I was presented with a voice message asking me to confirm the last three characters of my postcode by pressing 1, on the keypad. Result: "sorry we didn't recognise that". I tried repeatedly with no success. So it next decides to ask: Please enter your Virgin phone number, result: "sorry we didn't recognise that", (incidentally, it's not my phone I tested it with another business number requiring key presses, and it worked fine). I hung up and tried phoning the Virgin number again, same response - it won't recognise my key pad entry. Eventually, to my surprise, I was suddenly connected to a message - "we are experiencing long waiting times". I waited, and waited some more, after a long period I was connected to customer services (an overseas service agent) who said that he couldn't hear me properly, couldn't hear anything I was saying, and suggested I had a poor mobile signal strength. I said that there was a good signal showing on my phone. He said, well that makes no difference because I can't hear you. So I suggested that he can obviously hear some of the conversation so can we try. He said yes, but he needed some security information. He started to ask for my account number and then just hung up (or the line went dead?). Not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience or if Virgin can learn anything with view to improving their phone contact process.

Anyway, I'm still no further forward with my enquiry.

I have been a loyal customer for nearly 14 years, I now have my reasons for leaving. I'm a old guy just trying to get some details before my service is terminated. I don't use the social media services listed as ways to make contact. Is there any other way to get answers my enquiry... I don't think it unreasonable to want this basic but detailed information prior to leaving, other utility companies don't make it this difficult when leaving. Goodwill goes a long way when trying to maintain good customer relations and company image.

Thanks in advance for your help.

9 REPLIES 9

Stroye1
Tuning in

I decided to leave Virgin Media (broadband and phone) by sending a recorded signed for, letter giving 30 days notice starting 28 December 2023.

I have recently received a letter dated 31 December 2023, from Virgin titled "Important information about your disconnection request"
It went on to say: "Your services will disconnect on 29 December 2023". A one day notice period? My service has not been disconnected yet, so I guess this is a mistake. The letter speaks in general terms only and doesn't supply any detailed information on what happens next, but goes on to say: "if you need more information about what happens next, or change your mind, please give us a call on 150 from your Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone". Note: There are no other ways to communicate given in the letter.

I was reluctant to cancel my services by phone in the first place because of all the time consuming hurdles put in place - long periods on hold, and being transferred from one department to another, hopefully before being cut off midway, this appears to be the experience of others wishing to leave. That's why I chose to cancel by sending a letter. However, I thought as the date I was given in the reply from Virgin was obviously wrong, and I wanted some information regarding my final bill to make sure of no further mistakes   (unwarranted) charges bearing in mind my last contracted period end date was 2 December 2023, I thought I would try phoning. (Incidentally, 'Billing' in the Virgin Media app doesn't give any details.)

My phone contact experience

Now I'm not saying this is typical, but this is what happened to me:
First I was presented with a voice message asking me to confirm the last three characters of my postcode by pressing 1, on the keypad. Result: "sorry we didn't recognise that". I tried repeatedly with no success. So it next decides to ask: Please enter your Virgin phone number, result: "sorry we didn't recognise that", (incidentally, it's not my phone I tested it with another business number requiring key presses, and it worked fine). I hung up and tried phoning the Virgin number again, same response - it won't recognise my key pad entry. Eventually, to my surprise, I was suddenly connected to a message - "we are experiencing long waiting times". I waited, and waited some more, after a long period I was connected to customer services (an overseas service agent) who said that he couldn't hear me properly, couldn't hear anything I was saying, and suggested I had a poor mobile signal strength. I said that there was a good signal showing on my phone. He said, well that makes no difference because I can't hear you. So I suggested that he can obviously hear some of the conversation so can we try. He said yes, but he needed some security information. He started to ask for my account number and then just hung up (or the line went dead?). Not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience or if Virgin can learn anything with view to improving their phone contact process.

Anyway, I'm still no further forward with my enquiry.

I have been a loyal customer for nearly 14 years, I now have my reasons for leaving. I'm a old guy just trying to get some details before my service is terminated. I don't use the social media services listed as ways to make contact. Is there any other way to get answers my enquiry... I don't think it unreasonable to want this basic but detailed information prior to leaving, other utility companies don't make it this difficult when leaving. Goodwill goes a long way when trying to maintain good customer relations and company image.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey there @Stroye1 Thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums.

I am so so sorry to hear about the poor experience you have had when trying to cancel the services.
We'd hate to see you leave after so many years with us and the tenure too.

I can imagine that this is not the best experience and this is far below than what we aim to deliver.
I can see you are in a private chat with one of my colleagues, feel free to raise any query / request / question to them and they will be able to provide the answers for you.

Let us know how it goes with them and we hope to see you again soon one day. 👋🏼

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi there @Stroye1 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums.

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue with your service and thank you again for posting here for us. As we have already spoken in a PM I will pop another across so we can take a closer look. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

In case anyone was wondering why are there two identical messages posted here. After querying this with a member of the team, asking why my (original) message hadn't gone live, I was advised that there may have been a temporary issue with the messaging system when I posted, and that I should try re-posting. This I did. It worked, my message went live like shortly after. Yes you can see what happened next... after some delay, my original message also went live, leading to this duplication.

Hi Ashleigh_C

Thanks for your help via PM.

I have just today, tried to PM you with an update, but it appears that I am prevented from sending any further private messages. The messaging system won't allow me to reply or send a new message to you.

I get the usal message:
"Correct the highlighted errors and try again. Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and send the message when you are satisfied."

I, as other users here are used to seeing this message particularly after first copy and pasting text, but sometimes for other reasons. 9 times out of 10, just tapping 'Reply' again will send the message with no further issues. But it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I'm now prevented from sending any further private messages.

Please can you see what can be done to rectify this, as I would now like to send you an update.

Thanks for your help.

Hey @Stroye1,

Sorry to hear you can't send private messages, can you confirm with this you have tried this on different devices/browsers and also clear your browser history and cache history, often with this it should then allow the messages to be sent.

Joe

My experience with leaving Virgin Media update

First, thanks to team member Joseph_B for your reply (see reply to problems with PM messaging in this thread).

I'm still blocked (for whatever reason) from sending private message replies or new messages to anyone of the community support team members.

I have tried multiple times trying mobile phone and desktop views, different browsers and devices, and clearing cookies cache history etc. Please let us know if Virgin have experienced any recent system based problems that may have prevented private messages from (temporarily?) being sent.

Just find it a little strange that I can still (as of today) communicate on this 'public' forum... creating new posts and sending replies using the same platform here without issue.

Anyway, I guess it's all part of documenting my personal experience in the process of leaving Virgin Media. Your forum team member Ilyas_Y, kindly suggested I might let readers know how it goes after I have made contact via PM. So (while I still can) and for anyone interested, I'll update my experience here in public view.

You can see from my original post here (2 weeks ago) I was seeking information on what happens next after receiving a reply letter from Virgin Media, after I had sent my recorded signed for, letter stating my intention to cancel my broadband and home phone services.

So this is what happened after sending a PM to Ashleigh_C forum team member.

A comment was made that suggested why the mistake was made on the date that my "...services will disconnect..." in the letter I received from Virgin Media, and the correct date (30 days later was) confirmed.

After two days I got an email from Virgin in connection with my final bill (information that I had requested). Updated billing detail now also being made available via the Virgin Media App.

I still (to date) haven't received any information on "what happens next". Most utility companies will either send a letter or an email outlining their process leading up to the date services would cease. More specifically, I have enquired about what is required in connection with the return of Virgin's equipment (I have a Virgin Super Hub 2 (Netgear) router), but haven't had a reply.

So that's my update (to date).

First, thanks to team member Joseph_B for your reply (see reply to problems with PM messaging in this thread).

I'm still blocked (for whatever reason) from sending private message replies or new messages to anyone of the community support team members.

I have tried multiple times trying mobile phone and desktop views, different browsers and devices, and clearing cookies cache history etc. Please let us know if Virgin have experienced any recent system based problems that may have prevented private messages from (temporarily?) being sent.

Just find it a little strange that I can still (as of today) communicate on this 'public' forum... creating new posts and sending replies using the same platform here without issue.

Anyway, I guess it's all part of documenting my personal experience in the process of leaving Virgin Media. Your forum team member Ilyas_Y, kindly suggested I might let readers know how it goes after I have made contact via PM. So (while I still can) and for anyone interested, I'll update my experience here in public view.

You can see from my original post here (2 weeks ago) I was seeking information on what happens next after receiving a reply letter from Virgin Media, after I had sent my recorded signed for, letter stating my intention to cancel my broadband and home phone services.

So this is what happened after sending a PM to Ashleigh_C forum team member.

A comment was made that suggested why the mistake was made on the date that my "...services will disconnect..." in the letter I received from Virgin Media, and the correct date (30 days later was) confirmed.

After two days I got an email from Virgin in connection with my final bill (information that I had requested). Updated billing detail now also being made available via the Virgin Media App.

I still (to date) haven't received any information on "what happens next". Most utility companies will either send a letter or an email outlining their process leading up to the date services would cease. More specifically, I have enquired about what is required in connection with the return of Virgin's equipment (I have a Virgin Super Hub 2 (Netgear) router), but haven't had a reply.

So that's my update (to date).

Yes I'm replying to my own post titled: My experience with leaving Virgin Media update

The text is duplicated below for some reason (can't seem to be able to edit it to remove the duplicated portion). Okay, I guess it's my fault for not previewing before hitting 'Reply'.

Hi there @Stroye1 

Thank you again for posting here. I'm going to try popping you another PM can you try and reply to this new message and let me know if the issues persist?