cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin charging me over £2000 for their mistake

memePen
Joining in

Hello so sorry for the long story but please bare with me and i really apricate you taking the time to read

I’m at a total loss on what to do I feel emotionally drained and deeply upset. I cant bring myself to call virgin media again and spend hours on hold and being past to multiple departments for something that is not my fault. To be totally honest I really feel like I could just sit down and cry because of the situation they have put me in.

Virgin media  cannot be allowed to continue to  cause people distress both financially and emotionally. I signed up to virgin media for my tv broadband mobile and internet services.

We had such a bad customer experience  from the start  with virgin installs dates not being met, not having the items we were promised, ridiculous long waits to speak to people ( one evening I was on the phone for 4.5 hours and passed to  7 departments) promises not being met, offers also  weren’t applied and we promised on 3 different occasions this would be rectified and it never happened. 

So we agreed with virgin on the phone to  cancelled our service  30 days notice with ETC of £223, we had 4 months left in contract.   5 mins after we had spoken to the cancellation team we had no broadband TV or telephone, the broadband is essential in our home. Called back was told nothing could be done as no mangers on site, promised a manger would call the next day before noon.

No manager called! I called back promised a manager would call when I finished work.

For the first time virgin kept their promise, a manger called!!!  He put the services back on and promised me we would be paying the same as we did before £65 a month, The down side was we were missing some channels as they didn’t do the same package we were on,  but to be honest we could live with that for the 30days.  I asked if this would also be considered on the next bill as virgin charge prorate he said it would and we get any overpayments back.

Whilst he was restarting the services  I had a email advising me I was signing back up to a 18 month contract. He  promised we  would not be charged any early termination charges for the “new Contract” , it was the only way to get the services on and it was virgins fault. The manager explained  couldn’t put the cancellation trough because he wasn’t in that department and transferred me to cancellations.  5 departments later and 2 hours on the phone  got through to cancellations.

They cancelled the TV and broadband with 30days notice  and I advised the telephone number was being ported over to our new provider. Advised  I was unhappy and that the customer service journey was terrible. I wouldn’t get any termination charges for the “new contract” and as a sign of good will they would credit the bill £75.They had resolved the complaint and that was all they could do. 

I had hope that would be the end but because the broadband and telephone line had be disconnected it meant out telephone number could not be ported to our  new provider. So had to call Virgin again to cancel the telephone line and explain because of virgins error the new provider couldn’t take the number.

I must admit this particular advised was helpful he disconnected quoting the 12th of April to be the cut off date and agreed we hand had the best service and again we shouldn't be charged early termination charged for the "new contract" and added a good will gesture of £75 .  Called again  on the 15th April as services still on and told not to worry its all going through i wont be billed any additional charges 

On  the 2nd of April a amount of 283.39 comes out of my account my package being 168.00 additional changes £69.98 early termination charges 145.58 and a credit of 70.71, ok i thought we will possibly get  some of this refunded back to use for the bill on the 2nd of May as we pay pro rata as discussed.

Imagine my disappointment and shock when I looked at my bill for the 2nd of may to see it at £2096.01 made up of early termination fees for , that is double what I earn in a month and I was promised no cancellation fees for the “new contract.” as it was virgins mistake.

I honestly don't know what to do. The though of having to call them yet gain (spent in excess of 16 hours on the phone to them) and being past from pillar to post is filling me with dread has anyone got any advice. I cant even seem to get a deadlock letter nor can i raise a complaint through the app as i no longer had services with them.

if by some chance a virgin member of staff reads these please please do as you promised and take off all of Early termination charges -  you cant treat people this way 

2 REPLIES 2

Buffer6
Legend

I’m truly sorry to hear about the frustrating experience you’ve had with Virgin Media. Customer service issues can be incredibly draining, and it’s understandable that you’re feeling upset. Let’s explore some steps you can take to address this situation:

1. Contact Virgin Media Again:

• While I understand your reluctance, it’s essential to reach out to Virgin Media once more. You can try different channels such as phone, web chat, or email. I recommend using the phone option for a more immediate response.
    • Virgin Media’s customer service line for broadband, TV, landline, and mobile customers is 0345 454 1111. If you’re a Virgin Mobile customer, you can call 789 from your Virgin Media landline or 0345 600 078...1.
    • Explain your situation calmly and clearly, emphasizing the impact this has had on your daily life.
  2. Document Everything:

• Keep a record of all interactions with Virgin Media. Note down dates, times, names of representatives, and details of the conversations.
    • If you’re promised any resolutions or changes, ask for confirmation in writing (via email or letter).
  3. Escalate Your Complaint:

• If you don’t receive a satisfactory resolution, escalate your complaint. Ask to speak with a supervisor or manager.
    • Mention the promises made by the manager during your previous call and express your disappointment that they were not fulfilled.
  4. Check Your Bill:

• Monitor your bills closely. Ensure that you’re being charged correctly based on the agreed-upon terms.
    • If there are discrepancies, raise them promptly with Virgin Media.
  5. Consider Alternative Channels:

6. Seek Independent Adjudication:

Remember that you have rights as a consumer, and companies should provide reasonable service. I hope you find a resolution soon, and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you need further assistance. 🌟

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @memePen 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us, and welcome to the Community Forums. Apologies for the issues that you have had with us, so that we can look into this further we would need to bring you in for a private message. Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina