cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP not working on all email Accounts? (Can't Send emails, only receive)

superwavesynths
On our wavelength

Hi,

I'm having problems sending email, IMAP is working fine so I can receive ok but all of a sudden SMTP has stopped working on all my Virgin Media email accounts so all email is stuck in the Outbox.

Anyone else having this problem and are Virgin Media aware of this?

Cheers, Chris

14 REPLIES 14

Hi Graham

Ta for the response... lets hope they find a fix fast... Last time I had a problem was back in September 2023... Changing your password on the webmail interface didn't replicate to the SMTP or POP3 server but that time someone in the UK team was able to manually update the password on both systems for me withing 5minutes of calling...

Strangely I find the pop3 server for ntlworld.com is still working but that domain turned off the SMTP server years ago as everyone was told to start using the virginmedia servers even for legacy ntlworld emails... and my other two email addresses with an old ISP now owned by Nasstar I haven't been able to get the SMTP working for years...

Virgin is my last solution for sending without going Webmail so I hope this isn't the end for SMTP and POP3 support...

Regards,

Dave

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@waster99  Re your comment about passwords for VM webmail and email client access via POP3/IMAP and SMTP.

Following a change made by VM last year the passwords for webmail and email client access are no longer unified.

If you change your password for VM webmail the new password will not work with email client access.  That password remains unchanged unless you go through the process of generating an app password for the email address concerned via the My Virgin Media account for the specific email address.

PS: generating an app password will not resolve the current security certificate issue that is affecting some VM email users.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

dlenn
On our wavelength

Also having the same issue. Outlook 2007 with Windows 7 (yes i know i need to upgrade) Husband suspects they may have changed something with the TSL encryption but updating that did not help. It was still working for me on Saturday. 

Notebook1
Tuning in

So it’s now DAY 6 of not being able to send email (via Outlook 2010 running on Windows 7).

Still getting error 0x800CCC1A.

On Friday, I raised this problem with “Contact Virgin Media Internet Security Team” via https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/?branding=virginmedia

(select “Email sending errors” from dropdown)

Their suggestion: change your SMTP settings to Port 465 with SSL encryption (from Port 587 with TLS encryption).

None of this works.

Fed up with webmail workarounds.  How long before the SMTP server is fixed?

Hi @Notebook1 👋.

thanks for reaching out to us, apologies for the ongoing Issues that you are having with your emails, could you please join us in a private message so that we can look further into this. Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina