cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SETTINGS FOR BLUEYONDER ACCOUNT ON MAC MAIL

landryangelica
On our wavelength

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME. I've just wasted another hour of my life and am in tears after trying to get sense from Virgin advisors who are unable to answer a simple question.

I have a Blueyonder account and usually access it via the Virgin website (webmail). I was recently locked out of my email and compelled to spend 2 hours on the phone to Virgin advisors. Finally I got on to someone who knew what they were doing and they talked me through changing my domain name to a gmail address and also changing my Password (it wasn't clear why this had to be done but anyway, it worked and I was able to access my email at last). 

The Webmail was then working and the advisor stayed on the line while I checked if these new settings were also working on my Mac Mail account, which they were. As stated, I usually just use the Virgin Webmail but sometimes I need to access my mail on my Mac Mail account too. I've just tried to do that (2 weeks after this issue arose) but it's rejecting my new password over and over again, even though I'm sure it's correct.

Since my domain name has had to change to gmail, I'm wondering if the issue is a setting in the Accounts info within Mac Mail. I know this is nothing complicated but I need someone from Virgin to inform me what the settings should be, eg is it still pop3.virginmedia.com and should the Email address now be the gmail one. I've tried all the possibilities but nothing works.

The last Virgin advisor said I need to talk to Mac. That is a complete load of rubbish. Of course Mac aren't going to know what the Virgin settings are. Please, I'm begging someone to help me. The frustration is unbearable. Never have I had a satisfactory experience with the advisors from Virgin. This should be a simple question with a very simple solution.

I look forward to hearing from you. I've already spent a total of 3 and a half hours trying to deal with this. Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@landryangelica Each blueyonder email address know requires two different passwords. 

• There is one password for the My Virgin Media account and webmail access, both of which require the third party email username as the sign in address.
  • The second password is generated via the My Virgin Media account Account details page as explained by @Steven_L in his post.  This password is in the format xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx and is needed to access the email account via an email client such as Mac Mail.  The username for use with email clients remains the full blueyonder email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey landryangelica,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email account at the moment, to be able to access your email email, you would need to do the below steps to be able to access that.

• Sign in to My Virgin Media
• Go to Account settings, then Account details
• Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
• Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Get password
• Continue the flow and a new secure password will be generated, and the mailbox unlocked
• Update any third-party apps that may be use to access your Virgin Media Mail emails with this new app password.

Please can you give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@landryangelica Please note that after you have generated the app password as above when you come to change the use settings in MacMail the username is still your full blueyonder email address not the third party email username that you set up.  That is only used to access VM webmail or your My VM account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

I'm confused. I don't want to change my PW again. I've checked and I know I have the correct one. That isn't the problem. I've had no problem for years with Mac Mail, until now. It has to be something to do with having changed my PW and domain name 2 weeks ago, right?  Thanks

The account isn't unlocked now, the problem is I can't get my mail in Mac Mail. Why do I need to change my PW again, please? I would rather not. Thanks

landryangelica
On our wavelength

Oh please help. Nothing should be any different in my Mac Mail settings.

Description: POP Account

Email address: my Blueyonder email address

Full Name: my name

Incoming Mail Server: pop3.virginmedia.com

User Name: my Blueyonder email address

Password: The new PW which I know is correct

What's the problem likely to be? I already checked this account was working at the time of changing my PW and domain name, 2 weeks ago. Nothing else has changed. Thanks in advance. (Half a day wasted now)

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@landryangelica Each blueyonder email address know requires two different passwords. 

• There is one password for the My Virgin Media account and webmail access, both of which require the third party email username as the sign in address.
  • The second password is generated via the My Virgin Media account Account details page as explained by @Steven_L in his post.  This password is in the format xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx and is needed to access the email account via an email client such as Mac Mail.  The username for use with email clients remains the full blueyonder email address.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your Virgin Media account now has two sets of authentication credentials:

• a set for use with My Virgin Media and Virgin Media Mail ( a.k.a. webmail), i.e. your new (gmail.com) Sign in Email Address and account password
  • and a set for use with other email clients, like macOS Mail, that uses your original (blueyonder.co.uk) Virgin Media email address and an App Password

You do not need to change your account password but do need to generate an App Password for use with macOS Mail and other emails clients.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Oh right, I see! Yes, I do have that PW which is four "words" - I totally forgot about that one!

I'm absolutely done in after all this and have just turned the other computer off but I'll try first thing tomorrow. Hopefully that will be the solution. Btw should I check the box that says something like "Save in my keychain"?

I'm very grateful to you. I trust this will work but, if it doesn't, I hope you don't mind me bothering you again tomorrow. Fingers crossed 🙂

Many thanks.

All sorted now. Again, thank you so much for your help!

(This forum will be my first port of call from now on as, I'm sorry to say, the Virgin advisors don't seem to be properly trained. Any one of them should have been able to tell me this simple bit of information which would have saved hours.)