cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Forbidden' message when signing into web email

GW29
Tuning in

Hi,

I"ve started getting a two word "Forbidden Forbidden' Message when I try to sign into my virgin.net email account via a web browser (either Firefox on a Mac or Microsoft Edge on a PC). While I can still check emails at home with the Mail software on my computer, it's pretty limiting not being able to check emails anywhere else (I don't use a smartphone). I see others have had a similar problem in the past though no workarounds are posted. Why is this happening and is there something that can be done about this?

13 REPLIES 13

I don't really understand that . What is an 'underlying' email address? I only have, and only want, the one I've got. so can't give a 'third party email address', whatever that is, to sign in. I don't know why I'd want to use a false email address to sign in to my real one?

Thanks for getting back to us @GW29 

Sorry your experience is making you feel the way that you do.  Have you successfully been able to follow the advice in the link Graham_A provided?

Regards

Lee_R

GW29
Tuning in

At risk of repeating posts above... Graham A provided a link to a page telling me how to change my email address. But I can't do that, because the email address I have has been issued in too many places as the way to contact me - I need to keep it the same. So no.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GW29  As I tried to explain before you are not being asked to change the email address that you have been using for ages.  What you are being asked to do is to change the username that is used to sign into the email account to a third party email address  i.e one that is not provided by virgin media.

You say that you only have one email address but in order to continue using your VM email address you will have to create a new email address with another email provider such as gmail or MS Outlook in order to set this as your VM username.  This is a new security requirement imposed by VirginMedia and there is no way around it.

Once you have gone through the process you original email address will continue to work as before except for the way you sign into the account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks