cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Devices suddenly stopped receiving email on wifi (fine on 4g)!

DC2723
Joining in

Hi, I posted something about this yesterday, but it disappeared?

Since around 9:15am yesterday morning (Wednesday 23rd of November 2023) the email clients on both mine and my wife's iMacs and iPhones have stopped receiving emails!

They download immediately when connecting to 4g and other networks, so it's definitely something to do with our Virgin wifi. The internet has been absolutely fine, however.

The error message Mac Mail gives is "Connections to the server “mail.REDACTED.com” on the default ports timed out." It's also worth noting that the gmail is coming through to our devices perfectly.

I've double checked with our webhost, rebooted the router several times, restarted our iphones and Imacs etc. I even checked my domain and ip address on spamhaus to see if I'd been blacklisted but I'm all clear there too.

3 REPLIES 3

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DC2723,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues receiving emails to your iPhone/iMac through our WIFI.

Can we ask if you're having the same issues when accessing webmail? Also, is your device set up correctly?

Please check the link here for further help and support.

How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help

Each account needs to have its own My VM account in order get this set up, and the My VM account login email cannot be an NTLworld, blueyonder or VM email account.

We have also found a similar post on our community here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Can-t-access-Ntlworld-email-account-on-MacBook/td-p/53687... which may help with your query.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi, thanks for getting back to me. 

Things like gmail are fine, and working normally. Everything has been working fine until it suddenly stopped early Wednesday. No settings were changed, and we've had the new Hub 5 installed without issue for a few weeks

I've not set up anything to do with Virgin email because I didn't want/need to add another email account into the mix. Although I've been a Virgin Media customer for a good number of years, I've never set up a Virgin email address.

I've opened up the Terminal in my iMac as suggested in the linked post and have come up with an error code:

> AUTH PLAIN

< 334 

> [REDACTED]

< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM304)

* Closing connection 0

* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS alert, close notify (256):

* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):

curl: (67) Login denied

--------

So it looks like the error code is "Authentication Denied (VM304)"

Hi @DC2723 👋.

Thanks for the update, I can see you are in a slight conundrum. We would like to assist you and investigate this further, we would need to bring you in for a private message to discuss this and resolve. 

Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina