cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email account problem AGAIN!!

Quezzers
On our wavelength

My )revious posts will show that following the sudden problem of my wifes email not working. It took 3 weeks of messages on here and countless hours on the phone to get this working again and even then she could only get them on her windows Live mail on her computer she could not accessher webmail on any device. Now she has lost the livemail again and can not send or receive  emails from Windows. I am the account holder and her email is one of the extra boxes that  I have on my account.. I also use windows live mail (2012 version) and mine is working plus I can sign in to webmail. As my wifes email is part of my account why has it suddenly stopped working again? It is well beyond a joke and I could do with urgent help on this please

11 REPLIES 11

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Quezzers,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with one of your email accounts. Can you please expand? What happens exactly when you attempt to access it via the webmail platform?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

techweb
On our wavelength

Hi Zach,

There have been many reports of these SMTP related issues in the last 24 hours. Both on new and existing threads. It seems to relate to some SSL/TLS issues. In my case outlook returns the following error:0x800ccc1a. Other have issues with different clients but like me confirm they haven't changed anything.

I had similar issues in June last year which cleared on their own. However, at least last year I was able to switch my settings to TLS using port 587 to restore service. After a few days I was able to revert to SSL on port 465. This time though, no workarounds work.

It's clear it is only affecting some clients but clearly a change was made without prior notice and is impacting many, many users. Please establish what change this was and if it can be reverted.

Notebook1
Tuning in

I am having exactly the same problem as techweb (above): error 0x800ccc1a when trying to send email using Outlook 2010. This started yesterday afternoon. And like techweb, I had exactly the same problem last year (which was resolved by switching to port 587/TLS from port 465/SSL).

This problem seems to have become widespread since yesterday - there are various similar threads scattered across the forum.

What is Virgin Media doing to fix this?

Spent hours onto the online chat with the same issue to be told to contact gadget help and then they cut me off. Not very happy with this...I also asked for the pop3 details to check they were correct and was told they don't supply them ask an it guy...Not helpful at all and still not working this morning...Can someone on the forum team look into this as seems like a common problem for customers using an email client and not webmail

Hey smithysmoo, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

What issues are you having with the email?

Can you not log in or set it up?

If you want the POP3 settings here are some tips for it;

• Host name: pop3.virginmedia.com.
  • Username: your full Virgin Media email address.
  • Password: your Virgin Media email app password.
  • Advanced settings SSL encryption: Enabled.
  • Port: 995 (this may be automatically chosen by selecting SSL encryption

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

techweb
On our wavelength

Matt - If you look around the forum you will see countless users having issues with SNMP. A change has clearly been made to the SNMP server configuration that is impacting users of Thunderbird, Outlook 2007, 2010, 2016 and Windows Live Mail. For many upgrading the client or OS isn't an option.

Please investigate or PM me direct for more info.

superwavesynths
On our wavelength

I’ve had this problem for many days now and so many other people too. It’s clearly a server side issue and nothing to do with email clients etc.

It doesn’t matter what email client you use or connection you’re logged onto, SMPT protocol is down (for most anyway) and only VM technicians can fix this server side.

You don’t get a mass number of people reporting the same problem if it was user side at fault!

Makes me think that VM are deliberately trying to get us to ditch using their email system as you can no longer setup new email addresses and new customers to Virgin Media don’t get the option to setup mail boxes.

These problems keep reoccurring and VM are lousy at getting things fixed at speed, email is pretty important for some and they don’t give a toss!

Enough said!!!

Hey there @superwavesynths Thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the emails you are experiencing. 😢
May I ask if your emails are all fine on the webmail?

Are you experiencing any issues on there?
Let us know and we can go on from there. 🧾

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

superwavesynths
On our wavelength

>May I ask if your emails are all fine on the webmail?

Yes, I have three VM email addresses and I can send ok using webmail but using eM Client I can only receive via IMAP but I can’t send using SMTP which has been setup and working for a long time until now.

I’ve also disconnected my Laptop from my VM connection and logged onto my mobile hotspot which is connected to Tesco Mobile and still have the same problem.

Strange thing is, I also have my three email addresses setup on Samsung Email client on my mobile and two of them will send via SMTP but one of them has stopped working like on the Laptop. All settings are correct and have been correct for some time so obviously some changes have been made server side which have broken things.