cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am Confused/Unsure what I need!? - Hub and phones connection

markmcg
On our wavelength

Hi,

Getting too old now to understand what I need or to do (I am sure not the only one).  Any advise (in easy terms) would be very much appreciated. 🙂

My setup: Main phone is in Hallway, another phone is in Kitchen and another is in Bedroom.  All connected with a phone cable into a phone socket in wall.  My Router (in Modem only mode) is upstairs in another room.

From what I gather, to "upgrade" I need to book an Engineer who will run cables to the other phones (how?)...why not use existing cabling? And connect an adapter to the main line?

I would appreciate any easy steps to move forward as I do not fully understand the email blurb that I received 😞

PS. Does this mean the Landline rental payment will be removed??

TIA

Mark

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Consider a much less intrusive option. A Cordless Phone system.

The base unit attaches to the Hub and the 3 additional handsets can be placed where ever you fancy.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi markmcg

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community. 

Were still supplying the same service just via a different connection point, so the line rental charge still applies.

We have temporarily paused all phone migrations however.

Please continue to use the phone via the wall sockets for now.

When this resumes, we can book you an engineer if needed.

The phone will need to be plugged into the hub, if this isn't possible due to the location of the hub, our engineers can provide extension cables to resolve this. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Client62
Legend

Consider a much less intrusive option. A Cordless Phone system.

The base unit attaches to the Hub and the 3 additional handsets can be placed where ever you fancy.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

When your phone is switched to a connection from the back of the VM hub, all of your phone sockets will stop working. The only phone connection point will be the TEL1 socket on the back of your hub. To connect to the VM hub, VM provides an adapter which takes a standard BT phone plug.

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

In order to keep your phone sockets working you will need some phone wiring modifications.

A VM tech would need to fit a new telephone socket next to your VM hub. From this new telephone socket a new piece of telephone cable would need to run to an existing telephone socket nearby. That might be in an upstairs room or maybe elsewhere via an outside route if that is less disruptive.

VM often uses an adapter lead from the phone socket/adapter on the VM hub to connect into the new phone socket next to the VM hub. Example below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/HUB3-to-Master-socket-adaptor/m-p/4507007#M262932...

This 'backfeeds' the new phone line from the hub into the new bit of telephone cable to your existing phone wiring, so re-enabling the phone sockets. There are other possible ways to make the connection but the above is likely from what you have described.

You would have to agree any/all of the above with any VM tech who visited. There have been very wide-ranging reports of the abilities of VM tech's sent to do this work. Some have received glowing praise for a job well done. Other reports describe the person sent as being totally clueless about how to do the work and multiple visits being required before the task was completed by someone competent. Having an idea of what is involved will certainly help you if you get a less-capable tech turn up to do the task.

If you don't fancy any of the rewiring disruption, follow the advice of Client62 and invest in some cordless phones if that is feasible/affordable for you. A cordless phone system allows you to use phones around the home with no wiring modifications or disruption. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use the cordless satellite phones around your home as required. If you needed to buy a cordless phone system, to avoid any rewiring work, this would be at a cost to you.

Any switchover might be put off for the time being though as VM seems to have suspended the programme, following government intervention, after some past failures with vulnerable customers involving various suppliers.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Phone-adapter-delivery/m-p/5459483#M202107

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67750235

markmcg
On our wavelength

Hi Vikki,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

Just to clarify, my main phone will need to be connected to the hub (which is upstairs in a room near a computer).  Extension cables then need to be laid/tracked to other phone points!...a non-starter...not running any cables through the house to other phone sockets...too difficult and too intrusive!

Q. Can the phone that is connected to the hub 'power' cordless phones?

Q. To opt out of this 'upgrade', can I remove the phone from my VM Contract and have a reduced monthly payment?

TIA

Mark

markmcg
On our wavelength

Hi,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

A Possible solution to a problem that doesn't exist. 😁

Q. The additional handsets (additional handsets supplied by whom?) I assume would need power and not operate from the phone socket?

Regards,

Mark

markmcg
On our wavelength

Hi,

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply. 👍

The cordless route is an option, however, your first suggestion could be viable...Connect via the hub, run a cable to the nearest existing phone socket (bedroom next door), adapt this one to enable the existing phone sockets?  Is this what you mean?

Many thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for your questions. Cordless phones would still require a power source to operate, yes.

You can choose to remove your landline service from your package, that's not a problem. However if you are still in contract for this service, you may be subject to early termination fees for removing this service early.

Please be aware that all internet service providers are migrating over to VoIP landline service and intend to completely remove the traditional landline service by 2025.

Beth

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@markmcg wrote:

Hi,

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply. 👍

The cordless route is an option, however, your first suggestion could be viable...Connect via the hub, run a cable to the nearest existing phone socket (bedroom next door), adapt this one to enable the existing phone sockets?  Is this what you mean?

Many thanks,

Mark

Yes, that's correct and this is what it is likely that VM will do for you for free as part of any switchover process.

markmcg
On our wavelength

Hi Beth,

Many thanks for your reply, however, I am very happy to stay "in contract" with my existing setup, BUT it is VM that is changing the conditions. 🤔

Regards,

Mark