cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTP Passcodes and other text messages not being received

GC23
Joining in

Following on from the 3-day fault on Virgin Mobile's network in July that meant OTP text messages couldn't be received, today I've started having a similar problem where I'm not receiving any OTP messages from at least eBay and PayPal. I'm also not receiving normal text messages (apart from a reply from Virgin's 7726 service) but can send texts OK.

I'm guessing this fault might be connected with VM's attempt yesterday to switch my network to O2. I'm currently roaming so the switchover won't work. When you tried on 20 August I was also abroad, but there was no impact on my text messages. Today you appear to have done something that's stopped me receiving text messages including OTP passcodes, so as well as not receiving texts I'm currently unable to log in to those websites or get authorisation for financial transactions, which is causing considerable nuisance and inconvenience.

Your email dated 15 August stated "If you’re abroad on the day of your planned switch, it’ll still happen – but not automatically. Instead, we’ll send you a sim to your registered UK home address a few days after your switchover date on 20th August 2023." However, no SIM was received and the service continued working. I contacted you on 789 to advise that no SIM received, but you said it wasn't a problem as changeover still happening over coming months and service would carry on working. I now won't be back in UK until mid December so need my service and roaming to be fully working until then.

4 REPLIES 4

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @GC23, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media Community forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with the OTP codes and missing messages.
After inspecting the account we can see on our end that there is a call back due from the technical team today to assist and investigate further as to what is going on.

Let us know how it goes with the team.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Some more info for your technical team:

I received 2 texts today from Virgin Mobile saying my allowances and unused data were being kept, so texts from Virgin are being received but all other texts inc OTP messages are not being received.

I sent a text fine which was received by the recipient, but I didn't receive the reply they sent.

I've tried going on to other networks while roaming, but no change.

So this is something that's happened on your side most likely as a result of a faulty switchover process, that hasn't worked as I'm currently roaming, but the switchover attempt has somehow stopped text messages being received.

Please can you rectify this by the end of today as I'm currently unable to use my accounts requiring OTP or receive other texts.

Furthermore, sending me an email saying I'll receive a new SIM then failing to send the SIM caused me further wasted time. I was at my UK address in August to receive it, but now won't be there until mid December, you're welcome to send a new SIM then.

These issues are causing me nuisance and expense, for which I would like compensation.

Unfortunately I haven't had any call back from your technical team yet - it was scheduled for 1PM. I've already sent a text message to you about the problem at +447533016422 as suggested on your website but received no reply - I'll try calling you again.

I've just received an email from O2 advising posting of a "POS:O2 5G Postpay SIM: compatible with 5G Devices ONLY" - the problem is firstly as already advised I'm not currently in UK to receive it, secondly it wouldn't work anyway as my phone is 2G / 3G / 4G only.

I think the fault since yesterday of not receiving OTP messages or other texts is related to some setting you've changed in the SMSC, HLR or VLR during your switchover attempt, which has not reset to how it was before. Would suggest your technical team check this. See e.g:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service_technical_realisation_(GSM)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_home_routing

I hope you fix this issue quickly and I don't have to involve the regulator / ombudsman etc. As mentioned, I'm currently frozen out of my OTP-required accounts. I see you have lots of other complaints about switchover failures to O2. I think it's ridiculous that you have caused all this inconvenience for users. I've never had such a bad experience on any mobile network - I helped design and build some of the first GSM networks so know a bit about them.

Hi @GC23 

Thanks for coming back to us.

I'll send you a PM now.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill